Weird Polk-a-lay-lee Uke

Ukeefus

Reaction score
My new Polk-a-lay-lee (Wander-a-lay-lee?) is old, really weird and actually plays well, despite what some may think. Thanks to member who posted video link below.

Last edited:
It's from the early to mid '60's. An artist from San Clemente, Ca. designed them. The pointed end was designed so it could be stuck in the sand to go surfing after playing to your wahine'. It was a good marker to judge how far one drifted in the current and easy to find your way back to your girlfriend. They had different names. The one I have is called a Treholipee. Yours may have been stripped as the only ones I've seen were painted.

Petersen vs Swaggerty

Yours was made by Swaggerty of SouthCal, mine Petersen of Ohio which ripped off Swaggerty's design. Yours comes in 3 sizes, you have the largest. Mine is either a "Polk-a-lay-lee" (because it had a decal saying that and sold out of Polk Dept. stores in Chicago) or a "Wander-a-lay-lee" (probably the latter and dark stained wood is one of 4 finishes. Tunes and plays better than I originally thought it would. All of these ukes were made in the mid 60's and I've seen them selling online from $75 to $500.

Last edited:
Top Bottom