Yikes-I think my 4 year old is developing symptons of...

Hankthetank

Reaction score
...UAS!
I bought my 4 year old son a Mahalo to tool around on a month or so ago. I tried to show him chords to play but, being a four year old, he would rather just tool around on it.
Well, the other day, my concert flea came in from MGM and as soon as my son sees it, he says that he wants one. When I told him that he already has a uke to learn on, he goes and grabs it and says, "But see Daddy, it doesn't even play a C chord right. It sounds bad." And he strums a C chord! And he was right, it sounded bad-granted the uke was out of tune. But even in tune, it sounds bad-but what do you expect? It is a $20 kids uke.
The next morning, the first thing my son asks me is, "Are you going to buy me my new ukulele today?" Uh-oh! He asked me 2 more times yesterday, and has inquired about it this morning already.
Good thing he is only 4 but I think I need to start hiding my wallet.
But on the positive. I was totally proud that he was just able to grab his uke and play a chord. I never thought he was paying attention. He has a genuine interest in it (as interested as a 4 year old can be in anything), so we will see where this leads.
But I think this is how it starts. And I couldn't be any prouder!:shaka:

Hahaa. Start 'em out young :)

Its really cool that he's grasping some chords though, I'm very impressed. I've taught my 7 year old brother a few chords and he's loving it as well :shaka:

Haha... I guess this is what I've got to look forward to.

On the other hand... Its another excuse to get another ukulele. My 3yr old son claimed my Kala KA-C as his about a month ago and when he's around, I have to ask permission to use it.. So I bought a Koaloha

Everyones Happy!!! :shaka:

Last edited:
We might have the next Jake or Aldrine in the making here...4 years old thats awesome!!! Now just keep him interested! Teach him like sesame street or something? That was a guess of what 4 year olds watch haha Blues Clues? are these shows even still on?! But you get the idea! Oh and i would like to request an autograph early please, Red hand pant should work fine maybe sign it in macaroni?

My Grandaughter is 3 and she was the catalyst to me picking up a Uke as we bought her one for her birthday, just because it was small enough to hold. She called it her guitar for a while untill I bought one for myself and now when she comes over we play together, well I say play, but the main thing is she is showing great interest, I will not push her but I think in time I can get her to play.
Just making a noise at first was fun, now she is trying to press on the frets to make new sounds. So far she can name the strings and my next goal for her is a c Chord.
I think it is one of the best things you can do for a child, to introduce them to playing any kind of musical instrument.
Being able to make your own music is priceless.

Regards

Wait til he starts getting really good. Then the parental guilt really kicks in. When my son turned 12 and seemed responsible enough, he got to choose from my collection. Luckily, I had several nice ukes I'd picked up for a (figurative) song. Now he's 15, plays better than I do, and the uke he picked is still in perfect condition. You seem to have hit, and overcome, the only real hurdle there is: developing an interest in the first place. Congrats.

I don't think I ever have to worry about him playing one of my ukes. I am a lefty and he is a righty. We signed his older sister up for a guitar lesson and since the smallest guitar our local music store has is too big for him to hold, he is more determined than ever to play his uke.
I am just happy that my kids are taking such an interest in music at such an early age. I didn't know anyone who played an instrument when I was a kid. And it is much harder to start from scratch in your mid 30's than it is when you are a child. So if anything does come of this, I am proud to be a part of it. We will see what happens when they start getting good and learn the difference between their Mahalo uke and a KoAloha or Kamaka.
But I think at that point, I won't mind a bit :shaka:

I think it is one of the best things you can do for a child, to introduce them to playing any kind of musical instrument.

I so agree with this. I really wish I had been handed a uke as a kid, think of how fab I would be on it now :D My 13 year old is resisting my attempts of ukification but my 3 year old loves my little makala (wanted to start cheap) as soon as I get it out he is there wanting to play mummys ukulele. He likes to play my big ukulele too (guitar, they are all ukuleles to him :rofl:) and, hehe, my hubby now has one and we play bad duets together, and two of my sisters have decided to join the club too, hurrah. Just got to break the eldest. Maybe I need to go in his bedroom when he is asleep and whisper "Ukulele good, you need a ukulele." a hundred times each night for a while and see if that works :D

My Grandaughter is 3 and she was the catalyst to me picking up a Uke as we bought her one for her birthday, just because it was small enough to hold. She called it her guitar for a while untill I bought one for myself and now when she comes over we play together, well I say play, but the main thing is she is showing great interest, I will not push her but I think in time I can get her to play.
Just making a noise at first was fun, now she is trying to press on the frets to make new sounds. So far she can name the strings and my next goal for her is a c Chord.

Regards

This is freaky, because this is the same thing I am doing. My granddaughter is just one. I love music but never learned an instrument, so I figured I would do this, and when she is a bit older try and teach her. You know a little kid will absolutely love a "little guitar".

FBG

My daughter is 5 and since I have gotten into it, she has shown interest. she plays the Leolani super soprano I bought at the Swap Meet. She can play Surf, and she sings songs and strums with the beat of the song. I am still trying to teach her d,d,u,u,d. While I'm writing this, she's singing "The Climb" and strumming to it. It makes me proud! Just thought I'd share...:p

Ha ha! I better watch out, or your kid will soon be your new teacher!

We will see how long it takes the grasshopper to grab the pebble from my hand.
But I only have one sensei so no worries-for now:D

Top Bottom