Nice bit of Mahogany on eBay UK

Timbuck

Reaction score
Last edited:
I'd be tempted if this was American mahogany. WHy don't you just take a saw with you Ken. I bought a 3000 x 600 x 100 plank of American mahognay 10 years ago for £120. Took it home in 3 pieces in my little Corsa....

Last edited:
I've got enough chunks of mahogany lying around to keep me happy for a long time Pete..I'm scaling down on production these days..to be honest I don't enjoy making e'm like I once did, even though I've sorted out most of the problems making them...I find watching the Cycling like the Vuelta on TV much more enjoyable these days. I'm just getting old I guess:eek:ld::eek:ld:

You are going into a 'funk' as they used to say Ken but I know what you mean. I love building but I love it less than I do problem solving and jig making with my CNC machine. It may sound like an awful boast but I feel I have done everything I could possibly do to make a great sounding acoustic ukulele that my main focus is consistency and not necessarily improvement. Consistnecy requires a certain rigour that I seem to be fast running out of therefore the thrill for me now is in development of jigs and tools and teaching. I know I won't get to that magical 1000 and necessityis forcing me to do the work my assitant Tom used to do. Although lsower these days I still have the chops - I can rub out a finish and get a nice silk matt straight from the gun. I can neck set and detail sand - it just takes me longer. Yes we are getting old and are allowed to find ither things to captivate us. nevertheless, your contribution to the ukulele world is still vital so don't stop altogether!

BTW - do you have the G-code file for your bridge design?

That's a serious chunk of mahogany, well it is for one man instrument makers. Some furniture makers might look at it as an off cut!
As for making and motivation. It's something that's plagued me for a long time. I can combat it by making a completely different model, something new to me but there's only so many one can make. I have to be interested in it, something that inspires me. That automatically rules out the vast majority. I also tend to vere off in a completely different direction - like the piano or some other instrument. Still, I guess that it all informs. I think it adds rather than detracts.
When you think about it, in the cold light of day, then making a living from instrument making is hardly the worst occupation one could choose. You only have to watch the traffic at morning rush hour and realise the daily grind that the vast majority of people have to go through. I suspect that 99% of them aren't entirely in love with the work.

BTW - do you have the G-code file for your bridge design?

The only CNC bit on the tenor bridge I did was the saddle slot which is three straight lines..then a tool change for the radius string gully....And a jig on the router for the end radiii.
PICT0124 by Ken Timms, on Flickr
PICT0126 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Last edited:
Top Bottom