I've had a clear out. It's very refreshing.

camperman

Reaction score
Like many members I've bought, sold, acquired and convinced myself I needed more ukes. But that's all over now. I've had a bit of a sort out and sold some of my ukes. Now this bit might sound familiar to some of you but I had a number of ukes that I knew were good or even great but I'd never fallen in love with them and had anxiety whenever I thought I should sell them but that's all gone now. And so have my excess ukes. I'm left with 4 completely different ukes and 1 banjolele that I love for different reasons and more importantly I'm always drawn to them and play them all regularly.
It's very refreshing :)
So you see UAS doesn't always have to win. You can do it, you can cure yourself :)

P.S. I kept all the cases just in case I give into temptation again ;)

Kiss of death, personal jink, major backfire statement. It goes by many names, but everytime I have sold off a bunch and felt better for it.........well you know;)

Just joking......kinda. Congrats on purging and consolidating your herd down to your favorites.

Last edited:
I don't have any spare ukuleles to shed myself of, but I have a few other accumulations that I would like to get rid of.

In my first year of playing ukulele four years ago, I went through sixteen ukes, then I decided to keep only the ones I really liked and ended up with four. Three years later I'm up to seven, which actually happened in the last six months. But since playing bass uke, I'm now up to fifteen.

Congrats to the OP!

Eating disorders like anorexia and bulimia are forms of "binge and purge"...

If we have UAS as the "binge", what is the "purge" action called? :cool:

Oh, good.....until I clicked on your post, I was wondering what laxative you used! :rofl:

If we have UAS as the "binge", what is the "purge" action called? :cool:

A fool's errand. ;-)

UDS, Ukelele Disposal Syndrome?

On the opposite of the spectrum - thought of one for the stores to implement:
Uku-layaway or
Uku-layby

Crazy as this sounds i always come down to one. Just came down to my Koaloha as my only uke... But i spotted a bargain 'beater' uke and bought that. Oh well, i tried. :)

Like many members I've bought, sold, acquired and convinced myself I needed more ukes. But that's all over now. I've had a bit of a sort out and sold some of my ukes. Now this bit might sound familiar to some of you but I had a number of ukes that I knew were good or even great but I'd never fallen in love with them and had anxiety whenever I thought I should sell them but that's all gone now. And so have my excess ukes. I'm left with 4 completely different ukes and 1 banjolele that I love for different reasons and more importantly I'm always drawn to them and play them all regularly.
It's very refreshing :)
So you see UAS doesn't always have to win. You can do it, you can cure yourself :)

P.S. I kept all the cases just in case I give into temptation again ;)

Good job. I know how you felt. I had ukes coming and going and I had a bit of anxiety as well. After selling off all (still need to sell off my loprinzi ) I only have my one Teton soprano and a Yamaha guitalele to practice classical guitar pieces without having the burden of owning a classical guitar (sold off all my classical guitars as well)
I feel real good these days and never will go back.
Yes, if I one day need to replace my Teton or guitalele I'll just get another hundred dollar Teton or guitalele.
But my use of them and practice sessions have gone up sky high since not bothering w what's out there and the chase of a 'label' ("I need a real koa uke" or "I need to have a Martin in the group" or etc)
I could care less anymore.

I tend to think of it as going into remission, rather than being completely cured :)

Although my tendency to acquire has been pretty moderate over the years, I'm well acquainted with that anxiety over keeping vs. selling. I play both reentrant and low G, so I can justify two plus a spare. Right now I have twice that, and of the 6 two just aren't getting played. I'm giving myself until the end of the year to make a decision on whether or not they should go, but meanwhile - nothing new can come in!

I've given away a couple and actually reduced my collection to just three ukes.
One Timms soprano, high g
One Koaloha concert, low g
One selfmade tenor, reentrant B tuning

Last edited:
Well, to attest to my continued UAS, I bought a uke last night on eBay, an Ovation Applause tenor cutaway mahogany for $400 shipped. A few months ago I saw one on eBay, sunburst that looked just like the first new guitar I bought in 1975, but I hesitated in buying it outright for $400, put in a lower bid and lost out. Kicked myself big time.

Ovation Applause 148 burst.jpg

Then a couple weeks later I saw a Godin Multiuke sunburst here in the Marketplace for $400 and still hurting from the Ovation, bought it immediately. Great uke. But last night when I saw the Ovation, I couldn't resist and went for it.

Godin Multiuke sumbust mine 843.jpg

Ovation Applause mahogany.jpg

I gave away both my plastic ukes and a sopranino to a friend's children recently, and the process made me realise I only own one decent ukulele. That in turn got me thinking, stuffit, that's the one I'll just play then.

It's handy keeping a couple of other ukes in different tunings, but quite liberating sticking to just the one for all my repertoire.

UAS is a problem. I am trying to hold strong at 2 ukes and Im trying to offload my acoustic guitar.

The only problem is that I spend a lot of time looking at the marketplace and online shops (elderly, Ukerepublic, HMS, MIMS, and custom shops). Oh and playing with the custom building feature on the Kanile'a website. I am really playing with fire...

Last edited:
Top Bottom