James Hill Duets for One book

wildfire070

Reaction score
I don't think it has been released yet. I first saw it about a month ago on the FMM site. It has said coming in August, but in the description it mentions copies available in September. I have been looking forward to it.

"COMING SOON! Ukulele Masters: James Hill—Duets For One. Duets for One is a collection of 15 ingenious solo arrangements by Canadian ukulele master, James Hill. Each arrangement is comprised of two distinct parts—melody and accompaniment—that you'll learn to play simultaneously on a single ukulele! The 15 songs include classics by George Gershwin, Irving Berlin, Hank Williams, Coldplay and others. Arranged for reentrant GCEA tuning, all songs include ukulele tablature as well as music notation and most can be performed with a simple thumb-picking technique. We expect to have copies sometime in September. Stay tuned!"

Last edited:
I want to thank you for posting this. I was unaware of this book coming out, and I am now very interested.

James Hill is one of my musical and ukulele heroes, so this is definitely something I want to buy when it comes out. :)

I want to thank you for posting this. I was unaware of this book coming out, and I am now very interested.

I second this. Thanks for mentioning it!

Oooh! Looks like a really good one! September release? Just around the corner!

The publication date is a bit sketchy, it's not even released at the publisher's shop (fleamarketmusic). But it should be, really soon.

Hill is not only an excellent player, he's also very good in teaching stuff - breaking it down, showing relatively simple things that make complicated music). The version of Freight Train in F does look conspicuously a lot like the arrangement in Ukulelezaza's books, but that's a credit to the song.

I "looked inside" at Amazon. Wow, tabs for every song. If you're a Ukulele Way student like me, you know from those books that JH gives you tab for a song only if he decides you need it!

Doing the Ukulele Way as well. I enjoy his teaching style enough that I'll probably pick this up as well. Very cool!

Thanks for posting. I was not aware but will order it next prime order we do. Looks to be rally good. James is great.

It says on the Amazon page that it was released on August 15, 2017 but is temporarily out of stock.

Just placed order on amazon.ca. It is Prime free shipping producer but says it won't ship until November.

I just received the book from AMAZON.CA - it is a challanging but it is excellent!

I just received mine and started on it today. Agreed. Excellent and challenging. Looks like it's going to be good book

I received the book several weeks ago, but due to out-of-town travel, I wasn't able to work on it. I started working on it this week and my initial opinion is that this is the best set of ukulele arrangements I've seen. It's not easy stuff but quite worth the effort for the results. It's not a strum-and-sing book, but if you want to play like an instrumental ukulele virtuoso, then this book will not disappoint.

Last edited:
Mine arrived yesterday. I'm working on Samantha Muir's 'Little Book of Carulli', probably won't get to the J Hill book for a little while - maybe over the holidays.

I bought the book straight away and as much as i love James I'm not in love with the book. This is only because the arrangements are generally just chorded melody. I learn much slower in books and am very good at making my own chorded melodies. Making my own is just easier. Plus my eyesight is not that great and the numbers are so squashed I find them hard to read. Just stating my opinion here as I'm sure we would like all takes on the book.

It's not expensive, so by all means buy it just to support him and Jumpin' Jim :)

Top Bottom