16 inch scale necks

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
I like the 16 inch scale neck on the Ohta San. I think that Ono makes a 16 inch neck model, (think I saw one a while back on HMS.) Does anyone else make a model with that scale length?

You mentioned two fantastic models above.
One other person I am aware of who builds 16" concerts
is Allen McFarlen of Barron River Ukuleles.
He is based in Cairns, in Nth eastern Queensland, Australia.
http://brguitars.com/

I don't know of any production model other than Ohta San. But most custom luthiers can. I have had them made by David (Ono Ukes) and by J. Rieck. I love that scale length.

My Cocobolo super concert is 16" and I think they still make some though they are sold by lottery now and thus hard to come by.

There are a couple of production 15.5" scale ukes - the concert Flea and the KPK longneck soprano.

i was fortunate to pick up a Sonny D Ohta-San-inspired 'concert' uke with the 16" scale.
very comfortable to play... after I lowered the action a bit and rounded off some sharp
corners and edges :)

I got it from a HS student in Waipahu, where Sonny D has his workshop, because the
student lost interest in playing the uke in favor of more computer gaming :)

I also, eventually, got an Oahu ABS case from Andrew at HMS, so I could bring it back
to Seattle safely (under the seat in front of me on my Hawaiian Air flight) :)

I've been using it as my go to uke, although I have also been using my koa-body, Martin
soprano neck hybrid crafted by Kerry Bannister here in Lynnwood, WA :) Kerry also
presented me with a longneck soprano for my birthday back in June.

keep uke'in',

Thanks for the input. Off to go window browse on my Windows computer. :)

Top Bottom