Kamaka HF-3 D2I Deluxe 2 Tenor?

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
I noticed a listing for Kamaka HF-3 D2I Deluxe 2 Tenor on the Elderly Music website. "Very much like the ukulele played by Jake Shimabukuro", it says, along with a price tag of $3,495.

What is different about this HF-3 vs. the "regular" HF-3? How is it more like Jake's? I tried finding it on Kamaka's website, but either missed it or it isn't there.

I think it is primarily the slotted headstock. When I look at the ukuleles played by Jake Shimabukuro, he tends to favor those.

This Kamaka also has a higher grade of Koa and some nice details such as the abalone binding around the ukulele and the detailing around the sound hole.

I don't expect that either the slotted head stock, upgraded Koa wood or the beautiful binding etc. would have much difference in the sound, but I could be wrong. It is about a $2,000 premium over the regular HF-3.

Looks beautiful - heck it probably sounds amazing also.

Rich

Thanks, ghostrdr. Seems like it is the HF-3 with slotted headstock and bling. Maybe the upgraded Koa gives it a bit better sound? But, it seems like it would sound basically like a HF-3, but look fancier.

Maybe the upgraded Koa gives it a bit better sound?

Probably not. Chuck always says that the "ugly," straight grain koa makes a better-sounding uke. My standard-run HF-3 is one of the better sounding ukes I've played (back before it started fretting out). I'd still take it in its heyday over the few artist-model kamakas I've played.

Probably not. Chuck always says that the "ugly," straight grain koa makes a better-sounding uke. My standard-run HF-3 is one of the better sounding ukes I've played (back before it started fretting out). I'd still take it in its heyday over the few artist-model kamakas I've played.

Nice to know an expert or two can back me up - I've long believed that my most plain-Jane straight-grain Kamakas sound better than fancier, curlier grained ones I've encountered :)

yeah, it's all about the "bling" if you don't love the look, get the base HF3...I think they're gorgeous, though...:shaka:

A guy in our club has a D, it's gorgeous, but he brings his base model. My Kanile'a is basically a D, it's premium koa and I think it sounds amazing.
IMG_20170122_123027707~3.jpg

I don't think that the straight grain koa is ugly. In fact, I'm not really a bling person, though I do sometimes find that some of the beautiful blingy ukuleles do catch my eye. Good to know that it shouldn't really make a difference in sound, or might even be better than the fancy looking wood.

Some of the upgraded Kamakas have a different top than koa, which would make a difference, but IIRC, the deluxe tenor I posted about was all koa. (For some reason, I can't get to the Elderly site right now.)

Top Bottom