Wife's Birthday Present

ttyndall

Reaction score
I want to thank the members that responded with help in a different post. I know zero about Ukulele's and my wife asked for one for her Birthday.
Needless to say I could not find any at Home Depot. Imagine that!
I started by going to Google to learn to spell them. I found this forum and made a desperate post for help. Phil and Nickie were the first of many to respond and steered me to a couple of websites. I ended up with Mim.
Wonderful person to talk with. After explaining she would also be playing it for a preschool class of 4 year olds she suggested getting one less expensive for the children to play and a different one for my wife to learn with.
After telling her the ones my wife like sound clips of we decided on a KoAloha Concert OPIO. I left it to her on the second one for the classroom.
Kudos to Mim. She rushed it and had them delivered this morning. Today is my wife's Birthday. Really thank her for the great customer service.
I realize on a forum it is not true without pictures. I took some but did not wipe down the finger prints and it was tough in my office with the lighting. But here Ya Go.

OPIO.jpgOPIO-2.jpgOhana.jpgOhana-2.jpg

Osprey, isn't it great to see that customer service is not dead.

Nice ukes! The kids will love that Ohana!!!

Congratulations to your wife for her first Uke, and I'm sure she'll appreciate it.
Now to play and sing "Happy Birthday to You" ... :) I still have to get around to learning that old tune yet

Lovely choices. MIM is fantastic. Happy birthday to your wife! That's a fantastic "starter" uke.

Congrats on getting your wife some really nice ukes.
Ohana did donate several ukes to us for teaching kids in Summer Camp, and our library lending program workshops. She may want to check on this.

Nickie, that is great advice. With one uke for the kids I can see the fight coming now on who gets to play.
They are a Charter school under supervision of the county but have to do a lot of their own funding. She does a great job but she and I can only fund so much.
She has a Bachelors in Elementary Education and Masters in Music from Luther Rice Seminary so the Principal has her also teaching music to one grade about 4 hours a week and another level Sign Language. When she sings she also signs the song while she is singing it which intrigues the children. It is amazing how quick the little kids pick all that up.
I can't sing and the only sign language I know is the Old One Finger Salute. So I guess there is truth in the old saying "You can't teach an Old Dog new tricks".
Do you remember the contact and phone number of the person you dealt with at Ohana?

Nickie, that is great advice. With one uke for the kids I can see the fight coming now on who gets to play.
They are a Charter school under supervision of the county but have to do a lot of their own funding. She does a great job but she and I can only fund so much.
She has a Bachelors in Elementary Education and Masters in Music from Luther Rice Seminary so the Principal has her also teaching music to one grade about 4 hours a week and another level Sign Language. When she sings she also signs the song while she is singing it which intrigues the children. It is amazing how quick the little kids pick all that up.
I can't sing and the only sign language I know is the Old One Finger Salute. So I guess there is truth in the old saying "You can't teach an Old Dog new tricks".
Do you remember the contact and phone number of the person you dealt with at Ohana?

You might do well to get in touch with fellow UU brother Choirguy and read some of his posts. He teaches a school ukulele program and had been down this path many times before and likely your wife can benefit from his experience.

He's a great person and wonderful contributor to the forum here on UU.

Booli, I really appreciate all the help. I'll definitely do that tomorrow from my computer which makes it easier to navigate than my phone.

Booli, I really appreciate all the help. I'll definitely do that tomorrow from my computer which makes it easier to navigate than my phone.

No worries and glad to help. Choirguy is one of my favorite folks here on UU and I wish i could just give him a big bear-hug or at least buy him a beer or something...

Ukejenny, Mim was a sweetheart. It was fantastic she rushed it out so it arrived on my wife' birthday. It is not the same just showing my wife a picture of what I got her as actually handing her the present to unwrap. It worked out perfect. My Daughter and 3 Grand Kids were there when she opened them. Luckily the kids (6 to 10) were all attracted to the Blue color of the Ohana. Which is what that one was intended for.
A big High Five to Mim.

Ukecaster, yes it is the SK-10. What was interesting was she took both to school yesterday and played the Ohana for the kids. Needless to say the color attracted them.
However, one of the other teachers (Young man - unfortunately at 71 everyone is young to me), that has a couple of Ukes and is supposed to be pretty good loved the
Ohana and played it for quite a while. I asked if she showed him the KoAloha and she said he looked at it and went back to the Blue Ohana. I should have just bought two
Blue Ohana's and saved a bunch of money. Evidently in an elementary and pre-school level school COLORS RULE......

Ukecaster, yes it is the SK-10. What was interesting was she took both to school yesterday and played the Ohana for the kids. Needless to say the color attracted them.
However, one of the other teachers (Young man - unfortunately at 71 everyone is young to me), that has a couple of Ukes and is supposed to be pretty good loved the
Ohana and played it for quite a while. I asked if she showed him the KoAloha and she said he looked at it and went back to the Blue Ohana. I should have just bought two
Blue Ohana's and saved a bunch of money. Evidently in an elementary and pre-school level school COLORS RULE......

We all live and learn here, don't we.
Wait till she falls in love with the Koaloha

Choirguy was here a few months ago, and our Prez met with him. He provided a lot of information for our Kids Ukulele Summer Camps.

Top Bottom