NUD: Favilla U2

Ukecaster

Reaction score
In my search for a nice mahogany soprano, I've been through a few, although no vintage models. I had resigned myself to the notion that I'd need to find a vintage Martin soprano to get the sweet mahogany tone and bark I have heard on all the videos I've viewed. Having heard that vintage Favilla ukes are also well regarded, I was lucky to grab this on ebay for a great price, although I was nervous that it would have issues. Late 30s/early 40s Favilla U2. It has the the white plastic ring on the inside edge of the soundhole. It arrived on Monday: no cracks, normal wear, totally fried tuners. I cleaned and polished it up, installed new Grover 4B tuners, and strung with Martin strings, and am happy to report that is an excellent uke. Very loud and woody, with great midrange bark and a cool vintage vibe. Really holds up well under heavy strumming, and sweet when played softly. I hope to compare it with a vintage Martin someday (I've never tried one) and fully expect it to hold its own.

1.jpg
2.jpg
20170831_104752.jpg
20170831_111201.jpg
20170831_111244.jpg

Last edited:
Nice find, I keep hoping a nice vintage ukulele will find me. So far I have found one early Martin but the owner decided not to part with it. Yours is a beauty and looks to be in great shape.

I had a Favilla a number of years back. It was perhaps a little older. It was light as a feather and had a really punchy loud sound. The Favillas are often overlooked, but can be terrific. Enjoy.

Nice. I have a friend who had a Favila, but sold it. He said it was the one uke he wished he'd kept. Congrats on this one, it needed to be played!

I have a Favilla that I'm very happy with. I had always been more interested in a vintage Martin, but came across my little beauty first (and for a more reachable price)
I put some Gotoh UPTs on it to make it easier to live with. I find it just as you described: "Very loud and woody, with great midrange bark and a cool vintage vibe" It's so good that I have stopped looking at Martins in case I go for one and find it no better than the Favilla.
I have a small fleet of ukes, and sometimes play the "what if I had to get down to one uke?" mind game - and the Favilla is definitely a candidate; but - thank goodness I don't have to actually go there. I like all my babies.

Having owned two vintage Favilla mahogany soprano ukes, I agree. I think, however, that yours is a U3 model, not U2. I understood that the U3 had the larger dots actually inlayed into the board and the cream binding around the hole, while the U2 had smaller dots painted on the board and a black rosette around the sound hole. Please correct me if I'm wrong. They are both fine ukes.

Top Bottom