Wood finishing/waterproofing/MAKE IT SHINY

k0konutz

Reaction score
I own a Kala Concert, Mahogany. It has a matte finish on it and I was curious if anyone knew anything about applying a finish on wood and if it would adversely affect the sound at all. I just want to dress it up and give it some gloss.
Advice? Anybody strongly warn against this?

I would really be cautious on this one. The owner of Kanile'a (Joe Souza) while speaking on his soundmonster series, stated that finish was critical to the sound qualities of a ukulele. I would do some research just to see what instrument makers finish with normally. It's more than likely really thin/ light.

I own a Kala Concert, Mahogany. It has a matte finish on it and I was curious if anyone knew anything about applying a finish on wood and if it would adversely affect the sound at all. I just want to dress it up and give it some gloss.
Advice? Anybody strongly warn against this?

It does affect the sound! The thicker the finish, the smaller your sound, as the wood can't vibrate as good as before. Furthermore if the finish isn't put on equally, it also affects the sound.

I repainted my first Ukulele. I sanded the finish (wasn't healthy as it was a China-Ukulele) and then put some paintings on it and then a mat lacquer on it. Though the finish it had before was although thick, it now sounds a bit strange. And well I think I made many mistakes in the procedure. Well now it lies in the gig bag, but it doesn't look too bad. I think when I finally get some hangers for Ukuleles I will put it on the wall as a decoration... But I don't play it anymore.

if you want it shinny, you need to take off the old finish and respray it with a gloss . this is scary and would have a pro do it for me. ask around and maybe you can find someone who can do it for you for cheap!

Top Bottom