Shimo ukes

Not in the U.S., but I've been ogling them on Ukulele Mania in Japan. The shop is run by an expat who speaks/writes English and their customer service is stellar. Shipping for a uke is around $60 EMS and I'm not kidding, when I ordered a Famous from them it arrived in two days. Highly recommended! And... slightly envious that a Shimo is in your budget :)

Not in the U.S., but I've been ogling them on Ukulele Mania in Japan. The shop is run by an expat who speaks/writes English and their customer service is stellar. Shipping for a uke is around $60 EMS and I'm not kidding, when I ordered a Famous from them it arrived in two days. Highly recommended! And... slightly envious that a Shimo is in your budget :)

I'm not sure it is in my budget because I can't read the prices in Japanese! I like the look and sound of his ebony and ivory surf model!

I'm not sure it is in my budget because I can't read the prices in Japanese! I like the look and sound of his ebony and ivory surf model!

Really cool. If you click on "Exchange List" next to the JPY price and change to US Dollar, you can do the conversion. Here's the surf model:

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 1.28.35 PM.jpg

I've got my eye on the pineapple.

I guess it's not in my budget! Champaign taste, beer budget!!!

Ha ha, you and me both. One can dream!

I love the shape of the sound hole on that one, it's a nice touch like that on a pineapple body, and I've not seen that before.

I agree, maybe other more affordable makers of ukes will get creative this way eventually. I'm not generally drawn to custom touches or bling or novelty, but I find this one pretty charming.

Janeray1940 is correct about delivery from Japan. I bought 2 Kiwayas and a Famous from Japan (dolphin Guitars)and I couldn't believe that 2 were at my door witin 2 days. One got stuck in US Customs in Chicago and it took about 2 weeks.

Wow, the Pineapple is $1800 USD...

I would of thought a Kamaka Pineapple would be a better instrument, and they are $1100.

Samuel Kamaka designed and patented the Pineapple in 1928, so I always assumed this is the original, and why go for any others?

http://www.kamakahawaii.com/instruments.html

Oh by the way, I'm not being negative or bashing anything, just want to hear what others have to say is all?

Thanks

Last edited:
I would of thought a Kamaka Pineapple would be a better instrument, and they are $1100.

I have a Kamaka pineapple, and it's a great instrument - if I had to pick favorites it would be at the top of my list. But I've got a taste for pineapples in general so oddball ones like the Shimo always catch my eye. Not in my budget, but fun to look :)

Top Bottom