Kamaka Tiki

ukeinfused

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have been interested in a Kamaka concert.
And now I have this one waiting for me at the UPS store!
Sadly, it's closed for two days due to the holiday...

Kamaka Soprano Ukulele 1959-1969 Natural https://reverb.com/item/6413720-kamaka-soprano-ukulele-1959-1969-natural

I'm pretty excited and can't wait to see how it sounds. As you can see, it was not listed as a concert, nor as a Tiki.
I did ask for a pic of the label, which is a gold Kamaka label. Front and back are both one piece.
The seller assured me there are no cracks, just a few scratches.

There's apparently not a lot of these around (at least not for sale) and I would love to learn more about the Tikis, and your thoughts on the value of this one in the current market...

Last edited:
I think it's a concert 1969..first year built..very rare congratulations

Last edited:
Looks really good. Good luck.

Nice score! I have a gold label tiki as well and it rings like a bell. I'm sure you'll really enjoy yours. I sent mine back to Kamaka for a tune up and they re-glued and refinished it. Looks brand new

Nice score! I have a gold label tiki as well and it rings like a bell. I'm sure you'll really enjoy yours. I sent mine back to Kamaka for a tune up and they re-glued and refinished it. Looks brand new
Wow, that's what I call customer service!

Congratulations! I bet you'll really like this. The anticipation is gonna make it even better.

Looks nice, congrats, by the way, what is with the Tiki, does it mean anything in particular?

I didn't know Kamaka did this...

Looks nice, congrats, by the way, what is with the Tiki, does it mean anything in particular?

I didn't know Kamaka did this...
I would like to know what it represents too! Also who carved them, etc.
I have learned that Kamaka only made these for 5 years, most of them with a white label.

The Tiki were made about 5 years 1969 to 1974 on the concert base kamakas.. not much made
Mostly all were concerts, never heard of a soprano and I only saw a rare one. Must have been a prototype
OR some worker attached one tiki on the headstock. Some tiki were broken or damaged, they are not
Replaceable as they don't make them anymore. You got a great price if it is in good condition
I don't think they have any meaning aside that it is Hawaiian

Got her in my hands, and I'm just thrilled: light, loud, and beautiful (in that just-right golden koa with a touch of Tiki-kitsh kind of way. :)
I'd share pics here if only I could do that over my android phone (help - there doesn't seem to be way to do it?)

Also, at the moment, frustrated: I think the original black nylon strings may have still been installed, and I decided to change them out.
But the C string slot is too narrow for the Ko'olau nylons or Martin fluoros I had on hand. Should I have the slot widened, or is there another string set I should use?

Wonder why the slot is so narrow...Martins are pretty thin. Try Fremont blacklines, they are thinner I think, a little mellower sound.

The C string slots (bridge and nut) on my circa late 1950s Kamaka soprano are also very narrow. When we acquired it, it still had the original nylon strings (according to the owner). I had a devil of a time removing the C string. I have Martin fluorocarbons on it now, but the C string will not fit in the slots (bridge or nut). Perhaps heresy, but I squeezed the C string in a vise to fit it into the bridge. My intent was simply to see if I preferred the Martins to other strings (Nylgut, Kamaka) I've tried and then have the slots widened for whichever string I settled on. I definitely prefer the Martins but haven't gotten around to widening the slots. With respect to the original nylon strings and why I had such a time removing them, is it possible that the gaps narrowed with time? It seems counterintuitive that the wood would squeeze in, but I have a hard time believing Kamaka would have intentionally made the slot too narrow for the C string.
Mike

Is it the difference a result f the ukes being designed and set up for D tuning?
You can buy D tuning sets which have thinner diameters.
What a great question/thought! Were many ukes still tuned to D in the 50's?

"What a great question/thought! Were many ukes still tuned to D in the 50's?"

This is a great topic to research for yourself when you pick up an old uke from the era.

LOL. Can do. :)
I guess it's a '69, not from the 50's, anyway.

Wonder why the slot is so narrow...Martins are pretty thin. Try Fremont blacklines, they are thinner I think, a little mellower sound.

Reporting back:
The Fremont Blacklines fit just fine, unlike others I tried. I really like that they have the appearance of the original dark nylon strings. Sounds great: rich, vintage, mellow but still with good volume.
Thx much for the suggestion!

Last edited:
Reporting back:
The Fremont Blacklines fit just fine, unlike others I tried. I really like that they have the appearance of the original dark nylon strings. Sounds great: rich, vintage, mellow.
Thx much for the suggestion!

:shaka: glad it worked out!

Top Bottom