Tenor Acoustic-Electric First Uke recommendations

YetiFree

Reaction score
Hey guys!
There seem to be alot of threads similiar to this, and for that I apologize.

I would consider a concert, but I am normally a guitar player and have somewhat large hands.

Here are some qualities I am looking for in my first uke:
-tenor
-electric-acoustic
-full sounding, not tinny
-INTERESTING WOOD GRAINS! (lots of flaming, curling, or lines)
-$500 maximum

I really LOVE the look of the Kala Solid Acacia (the headstock is cool too), but unfortunately it does not have a pickup and I am hesitant to install one myself, and I don't want to use one of those hook-on temporary pick-ups.

I know about MGM, and have looked through his stuff.
Some that I like the
KALA KA-KTE
KALA KA-FMTE-C
KALA KA MTE-C
Koa Pili Koko <--- Can't find a tenor or electric of this.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers

Hey guys!
Here are some qualities I am looking for in my first uke:
-tenor
-electric-acoustic
-full sounding, not tinny
-INTERESTING WOOD GRAINS! (lots of flaming, curling, or lines)
-$500 maximum

You sure do want a lot for $500.

For $200, you can install a LR Baggs Element UST or Fishman Matrix UST. But, if you want a cheaper pickup, they're available as well.

Go to 4 digits, and you'll find your search a little easier (but not by much).

If it's wood grain that's your prime interest, consider a mango uke. Look for Pono's offering.

If it's sound first, consider a cedar or spruce top. Kala fits the bill.

If you can wait, consider a Mainland (they're bringing in ukes with pickups this summer). Meanwhile, if it's volume and brightness you want and you can't wait and will take one without a pickup, their tenor ukes are at the top of the list for both.

Look at my review page for other comments and options for tenors.

YetiFree,

I was on the Kala website and saw the video of Mike Upton playing the Solid Acacia tenor and really liked the way it looked and sounded so sent him an email about the possibility of getting one with a pick up.

I promptly received a reply from Mike saying the solid Acacias will be available with a Mi-Si simple jack system starting the end of June. The retail price of the tenor is supposed to be $599.

I've contacted a few Kala dealers to see if they plan to carry them and most have told me they haven't heard about the solid Acacia with the electronics in them yet but would be willing to find out for me and/or preorder one.

Best of luck in your search for your first uke!

I recently bought a Kala ASMT-C online (ebay) from musicguymic. it's currently in transit from Hawaii, Ill update you as soon at it gets to me.
-Ive got high hopes for the solid mahogany.
///S

The Koa and Spalted Maple ones are laminate sides and back with solid tops, while the other two (mahogany and lacewood) are solid all around. People normally prefer the tonal qualities of solid ukes over laminate ones.

I just got Mike over at UkeRepublic to order me the Lacewood Tenor Cutaway today. I'll have it in 2 weeks or so, and I'll right a review and make some recordings with it (plugged in and unplugged). :shaka:

Kala ASMT

Hey,
Just got in my Kala Tenor Uke from Musicguymic, (ebay).

The Uke is solid mahogany w/ rosewood fret board, Geared tuners, Cutaway and electronic pickup. This is my first Uke, so Ive got nothing to compare with. However, I think the sound is amazing and I love the cutaway look.

I ordered it online on a Sunday and it came in the mail about 10 days later (Hawaii to Canada). Total cost 249 (AMD). Total cost 302 (CND) plus 49 (CND) shipping/handling and a 47 (CND) Cash on delivery.

Here's the Ebay link to the exact Uke!

http://cgi.ebay.com/KALA-ALL-SOLID-...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Hope this Helps.

Oo thanks guys.

Now I'm pretty sure I will go with a solid body uke.

I'll try and do some more research into the Kala lacewood or mahogany and the Mainland Mahogany.

Look forward to your review, psesinkclee.

Top Bottom