NUD and thumb pick question

Piecomics

Reaction score
Hi all, just wanted to say I got my konablaster 19" Blue baritone ukulele. It is perfect! The tone with my pig nose amp is spectacular, and I love it. Between this and my shamisen I am all set I'm having a blast messing around with stuff.

I haven't played a lot of steel string instruments before, it definitely feels better playing with a pic, and it articulates much better with that. I would like to start using a thumb pick, wondering if there's one that people recommend?

Thanks!
Ben

Awesome. :) I've never played one of those, but always thought they looked really cool. I did play one of his tenors for a bit and it was very well built.

I haven't played around with finger picks in a long while, but I would suggest trying all different kinds and gauges. It's such a personal preference thing. My favorite, if I recall correctly, was a Fred Kelly "Speed pick". Of course it's also important to figure out what size fits you best on the ones that are sized.
Enjoy your new instrument!

Remember, you'll probably need to trim and shape your pick so it works well with your uke playing style. Good discussion here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOXXJYv8VJo

Also, I like to stick a patch of moleskin on the underside of the thumbpick--really soften the tone and makes it sound like a finger (but with the better articulation, volume, etc).

Try as I might, I could never get a thumb pick to work right for me, they make them to play to the side, whereas I play at an angle of about 45 degrees, & no matter how I trimmed it, it just wouldn't work right. Thought about Alaskan Picks, but didn't know what the sizes actually were, as they give no real indication.

Top Bottom