Honest opinion guys.

Myala509

Reaction score
I got the bug. I bought my first ukulele a couple weeks ago and have been loving it. But after checking out this site and all of your guys videos I realized it could be alot better.

It is a Lanikai CK-T Tenor with Worth low g. I love the Tenor size and the low g. But the action is messed up. The sound board is warped and I think the fret board is warped also. There is also asthetic damages like glue and scratches.

Anyways I am just making excuses to buy another ukulele! :D

I really love the look of the Mainland Tenor Mahogany. I know alot of you guys own that one and I have read some reviews about them and they have all been positive. I want to know some negatives about it though and really honest review.

I got the money for 500 dollar ukulele but that one mahogany is calling me. :love: Is there one for around 500 that is twice as good as the 250 mainland? Tenor size. And I can change the nut if I need to if I want low g so that shouldnt matter right?

Yo!
I just ordered my Mainland like 2 weeks ago, unfortunatelly I sent it back to Cali cuz im on the East Coast for school! But I will be playing it next week!!! WOO HOO!!!
So when I start fiddling with it, i'll give you my review on it...
But I basically think that you should get what you think would suit you the best...
If its the Tenor mahagony then go for it!
I've had the privilege of playing with a friend's Pono and Ovation Tenors, and I think when you start playing different Ukes, you get a better feel for what suits you best...
Thats just my 2 cents tho...
So ya:)

I have a concert in my house that I mess around with. I really dont like the size or sound at all. :( I have only held a soprano once and it did not feel bad. Just not as good as the tenor size!

Anyone have anything negative about the Mainland besides some scratches hahahahaha. That thread cracked me up. :)

. . . I got the money for 500 dollar ukulele but that one mahogany is calling me. :love: Is there one for around 500 that is twice as good as the 250 mainland? Tenor size. And I can change the nut if I need to if I want low g so that shouldn't matter right?
Cost does not necessarily reflect better as you can find a good a sounding instrument for under $500. The one thing I do know is if you purchase from one of the vendors here, they'll set it up for ya. And really, that last comment was uncalled for . . .

I've never compared it to a Mainland, but a LoPrinzi model A is close to your price range. On its own it is a great ukulele with nice sound, sustain, and playability. And the workmanship is as good as any maker I've seen (they are hand made in Florida by Augustino & Donna LoPrinzi). I do like my Kamaka tenor a little bit more in terms of sound but it does cost twice as much and I got to pick out the Kamaka from about 10 examples (the LoPrinzi was purchased online).

I suspect that if you compare the LoPrinzi to a Mainland tenor, you probably won't think it sounds twice as good, but for a hand made in USA ukulele, $550 is a pretty low price. I definitely think it is worth the money.

I saw Links review! That video alone almost sold me.

Those Loprinzas look great too. 550 for hand made!?! I will look that one up more thank you.

Kanaka- I was just saying that I enjoyed reading that thread. I was looking for negatives about what seems to be a wonderful ukulele and all I could find was one about some scratches. The service and response from mike was unbelievable.

Maybe I should just buy two mainlands!

haha honestly mainland ukes are great for their price.
i got one two weeks ago and i play it every second i have the chance to!
mainland checks for all buzzes and all other defects so you know you're safe w/ that!

but dont expect a $1000 dollar quality from mainland. im a n00b but i read all these posts on how greattttt mainland was. when my mainland soprano came in the mail i was super excited. but the sound was whatever to me...
the thing was... i didn't know what i was suppose to expect from the sound. and now the more i play it the more i loveeeeeeee it!

it really is a great price for its money and mike does a great job w/ the ukes! i am eyeing a kamaka or a koaloha already...but only because of its reputation (which is a bad reason to get a new uke). the only thing im scared of is buying an expensive uke in the future... yet finding myself most please w/ the mainland.

i might be jumping the gun... on that last comment. but mainland left me very very happy.

Ill check back tonight. Unless something crazy happens or I change my mind I think Ill pick up that classic tenor. Would it be best to buy from here or from mainlands site?

Ordering off Mainland Site is quick and easy....
Mike shipped mine off the same day and gave me the tracking number and everything...
Honestly, i've seen just about all the vids with Mainland's uke, and I was pretty much sold... lol.
I doubt you'll go wrong wit it...
Like everyone's said, Just go with a vendor thats a member...
You won't go wrong...

If you're into mohogany, you could check out the top of the line Fender uke, which I think is solid mohogany. I've never played one, but for about $300 you also get a pickup. Just a thought.

Also, if you're going to order a mainland, you might want to ask Mike to set it up for you with low g?

good luck

I saw the fender yesterday actually. I was at the local music store jammin with it. I was not that impressed with it.

:shaka: called mike up and picked up the one ive been looking at! :shaka:
It should get here on my birthday.:rock:

Top Bottom