Daniel Ho fundamentals course on Lynda.com

cyber3d

Reaction score
Hi all, found Daniel Ho's first Lynda.com course. From January of this year.

Music Theory and Fundamentals - Ukulele. It's about 2-1/4 hours long. Here:

https://www.lynda.com/Music-Theory-tutorials/Beginning-Ukelele/511263-2.html

Interesting stuff. For absolute beginners? I'm not so sure. I think you need a bit of experience and comfort with the uke before learning these fundamentals in the way he teaches. But, it is worth checking out. He covers strumming, reading music notation, theory covering major scales, intervals, harmony etc. A lot of stuff. He uses a lot of learn by example and playing. You need to download the exercise files to really follow along and learn. Also, an introduction to fingerstyle playing.

I'm an instructor at Lynda.com and Pluralsight.com but, I never knew there was a Daniel Ho course there! There is also mandolin, music theory, song writing tips, vocal lessons, and more.

P.S. Lynda.com is a subscription based learning company. That link above does have a free preview and free trial for those with out a subscription.

Last edited:
Ahh I thought we could watch it without having to sign up... :(

Thanks though for sharing.

Just a preview of his course. But, many colleges have free access to Lynda.com and most all public libraries also have free access. His course is definitely intermediate IMO.

kewl!

thx 4 sharing this info!

Not sure how it compares. But, it does have star quality in Daniel Ho. I think that is the main draw. The link takes you to a free preview of that course and a 30 day free trial (I believe). It is a monthly subscription that allows access to ALL of the courses on Lynda.com including Daniel's.

I have taken out Daniel Ho introductory ukulele DVD from the library. I remember thinking that his instructional style was very accessible and useful. Starpower doesn't necessarily translate to good instruction. But I think Daniel Ho has a commitment to Quality instruction I recall seeing a lot of his merchandise at one of his concerts. He has progressive instructional books as well. He is a quality performer and a quality instructor.

That said, I dabble in all sorts of resources for instruction. The internet is full of such and I borrow from the library. The real key to learning any of this be it various techniques like mastering strums, finger-picking, clawhammer, reading from tablature or music notation, improvising, or understanding music theory is your motivation and dedication. You sample the resource and you see if that instructor or method resonates with you. Sometimes what they have to offer isn't exactly what you want at that time then your skills develop and you come back to it and it makes more sense.

Defining for yourself your goals and seeing if that instruction matches your goals is probably the first consideration. My goals rotate all the time. Some people do better with a structured Progressive program and some of us do better with the Dabble method. But to answer your question yes Daniel Ho is it good instructor!

I'll second what Rubykey says, Daniel Ho is a good instructor. I took the Lynda.com class though there library and I think it's very good. He takes ukulele and teaching seriously.

Top Bottom