best tuning pegs for a kamaka concert?

thesillydave

Reaction score
i love my kamaka, but hate the old style tuning pegs. but i don't really want to drill out the holes for something new...any ideas? thanks!

Did you notice the cylinder below the knob in the link I sent you, and does yours looks the same?

That's the gear, and if yours looks straight and more slender, then they're probably friction tuners.

I don't know what year, but all the latest Kamaka concerts come with these tuners, have a look at a concernt on the Ukulelesite;

https://www.theukulelesite.com/kamaka-concert-long-neck-package-2.html

I was just looking at a concert that came in my local store a few days ago and it had these same Gotoh UPT Tuners in black.

Last edited:
From your description, it appears you have a set of Schaller friction tuners. They are are a more appropriate weight for a Banjo or Baritone. I replaced one such pair on a Bushman Jenny years ago.
If they are the Schallers as pictured. The hole on the head face is 3/8 inch or approximately 8.4mm. You should find one that the collar fits into the hole snuggly. I Have some in my part drawer but I don't know the maker . I Think they came from China.View attachment 102942

Yeah, you should like the Gotoh UPTs.

I think if I had a Kamaka, I'd like Peghead tuners on it.

I have a beat up gold label and it now has Gotoh UPT tuners - matte chrome and ivory. The improvement was dramatic.

Though the Pegheds and the Gotoh UPT's are great improvements over 1/1 friction tuners, I wonder why they're just 1/4 ratio tuners. Any guitar wil have 1/12 tuners or up, so why should a uke, with much shorter scale, where precise tuning matters more, have 1/4? I have an idea that Gotoh Stealth tuners are the way to go. They are LIGHT (lighter than UPT's) and have a grown up tuning ratio. Luthiers should figure out a good looking way to incorporate them in ukes. I should say that I have no experience with them though. Bur for a Kamaka, with heavy old Schallers, I'd say a UPT is a great step ahead, it is what Kamaka themselves are using.

Top Bottom