Builders List

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Custom" might also be open to interpretation but some other suggestions might include Spruce House, Hinkle Ukulele, Blue Star Guitar, and Cocobolo Ukuleles

ETA - also Southern Cross Ukuleles

Last edited:
One to consider would be Joel Eckhaus of Earnest Instruments, who is a one-man shop, and also was a student of Roy Smeck. His most popular uke seems to be the 'Strad uke' and was also famously played often on stage by the late, great John King.

see: http://www.earnestinstruments.com/

Last edited:
Original post has been changed to include any and all good builders...

Thanks Booli

Last edited:
I had a reasonably priced ($700) custom mini bass made by Blue Star Guitar in Michigan. I've also used Ballona Creek Lutherie in Culver City, California for repair work and I've seen a couple of his ukes that are not more than $1000 that were beauties, he prides himself on doing clean work, but I ran into him the other day and he said he's been focussing more on carpentry and furniture work lately.

I had a reasonably priced ($700) custom mini bass made by Blue Star Guitar in Michigan. I've also used Ballona Creek Lutherie in Culver City, California for repair work and I've seen a couple of his ukes that are not more than $1000 that were beauties, he prides himself on doing clean work, but I ran into him the other day and he said he's been focussing more on carpentry and furniture work lately.

Last edited:
Did you know that Sailor Ukuleles is a LoPrinzi brand, built exclusively for Uke Republic?

Did you know that Sailor Ukuleles is a LoPrinzi brand, built exclusively for Uke Republic?
Certainly associated with Loprinzi, but I think they meet the parameters of this thread. They will "make to order" within certain parameters at least. I once approached them (with Mike at Uke Republic as go-between as you state) about a super soprano with some "custom" features and almost made the commission but ended up doing the Cocobolo super concert instead.

I highly recommend goatrockukulele.com . Michael Smith Goat Rock owner/luthier builds some spectacular custom ukes in his one man shop in Graton, California.

Ahh ok...

Certainly associated with Loprinzi, but I think they meet the parameters of this thread. They will "make to order" within certain parameters at least. I once approached them (with Mike at Uke Republic as go-between as you state) about a super soprano with some "custom" features and almost made the commission but ended up doing the Cocobolo super concert instead.

Hmm, so what's the consensus here, should I leave them?

Thanks guys...

I highly recommend goatrockukulele.com . Michael Smith Goat Rock owner/luthier builds some spectacular custom ukes in his one man shop in Graton, California.

Thanks

Last edited:
Ahh ok...

Hmm, so what's the consensus here, should I leave them?

Thanks guys...

I saw them before, but those don't look like affordable Ukes, what kind of price range are we talking?

Depending on the uke, $1100 plus range. Shoot Michael an email or call him.

There is a segment of people out there who would be considered luthiers, but not necessarily by trade. Since this is an activity driven by their passion and not by their mortgage, the instruments are generally more affordable. An example of this is SIMSCal. But you may not get your wish of ukulele only.

The earlier question about the definition of custom is valid as some builders will build to whatever a customer wants and some are more semi-custom where they will offer different woods and some variation in design, but may be less likely to go full custom with all the bells and whistles that a customer might want. I would think affordable is conducive to semi-custom.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom