Strings are funny things . . . the conversation will never end

cyber3d

Reaction score
So, I have a Kala KA ASOV Soprano. Spruce top / Okavango. For me even as a beginner the factory strings were terrible. They sounded mushy and uneven. I replaced them with Aquila New Nylgut strings. Much better. But, my 4th string (high G) sounded boomy. I just now put Pepe Romero/LaBella fluorocarbon strings on. What a difference.

For this particular ukulele it is soooo smooth, sooo expressive. But, now my 1st string (A) is boomy. I have switched this one string back to the Aquila I had before. But, it is not much better.

What the heck is going on? I solved the boomy G. Now I have a boom A. Does your solid spruce top soprano have difficulty with strings?

I have an extra set of fluorocarbon Living Strings for my Tenor but the A string is not the same diameter so I can't use it.

Maybe the nut slots need to be fixed up.

Strings can take some time to settle into their true voice. I'd play them for a week before trying to change anything.

Welcome to the world of uking!

(It's good that you have an ear that can tell the difference in string volume - you're off to a great start!)

Strings can take some time to settle into their true voice. I'd play them for a week before trying to change anything.

Welcome to the world of uking!

(It's good that you have an ear that can tell the difference in string volume - you're off to a great start!)

Yes. I forgot about waiting for the strings to settle. I think I'll start shredding the uke as soon as possible!!!!! :rock:

Top Bottom