Case Shape?

Luna

Reaction score
Is there any difference between uke-shaped hard cases and rectangular hard cases, or is it just preference? I just want whatever will give me the most protection if I do something like get distracted and accidentally bang it against a wall. Or drop it. And preferably something that has room for a humidifier and a tuner, which I think they all do, but I haven't been able to see any in person, so I'm not sure.

Thank you for reading.

Interior of a rectangular case

33b5_1.JPG

interior of a tradtional case

0aed_1.JPG

i like the rectangular cases. i could be carrying a rifle in there. but its an 'ukulele.:cool:

I don't think you can make an across the board generalization and say that one style offers more protection than another style. It's just personal preference. You have enough room in both for a humidifier and tuner.

Rectangular cases let you carry more stuff, but I think if both are of quality construction the protection is equal...

In our family we own about 16 stringed instruments, (plus too many others). Just because I'm practical, I use gig bags for most. Most of our instruments are usually out being used or hanging on walls. I find gig bags are good enough for transporting and have taught my children when traveling with an instrument to handle it delicately. (If I was flying somewhere, it would be different.) Hard cases just take up too much room for me, and a gig bag can be rolled up and stuffed in a basket when not in use. I don't bother with humidifiers since I live at the beach.

I don't own any rectangular uke cases, but I'd love to pick one up someday. I just use gig bags for the not-so-expensive stuff, and hard cases for the ones that I really need to protect. For guitars though, I have a strong preference for the guitar-shaped hard cases. There, I have ample space to store stuff inside (whereas in the uke-shaped cases, there's pretty limited space inside). But most importantly, those rectangular guitar cases take up a TON of space. I have one of them, and it's always a pain to deal with because its so darn big. It makes it harder to carry around and harder to store, because it is the one case that sticks out.

But for ukes, what I have most of are those cases that are more trapezoidal. I find those to be a good compromise between interior storage and practical shape. The only drawback is that they're mostly made of foam.

Thanks a lot for your help. I'm still not sure which one I'll get, but at least now I don't have to worry about buying the wrong kind.

Top Bottom