Electric Solid Body Ukuleles

Vorzon has very similar ones that have been out for a few years for under $150, I had one but never found a valid use for it and sold it.

Looks cool. Different styles too...

...but if they are re-using standard strat/tele electric guitar saddles, then the string-to-string spacing is only going to be about 10mm, whereas most acoustic tenor ukes (such as the ones I have) the strings are about 13mm apart, and for fingerstyle, this makes a significant difference to me.

If you are playing with a flatpick or wailing away like Eddie Van Halen on one of these, then the string spacing will matter less...

Some luthiers making these will actually make the strings about 13mm apart on-center with a new bridge plate with the 4 holes to accept the strat/tele style saddles wide enough to be closer to most acoustic tenors' string spacing...

However for a custom, small-shop-made uke, that is a very nice price. :)

kohanmike - I am a little disappointed in you for not bringing up the Godin Multi-Uke, which we both have. Both Mike and I had solid body electric ukes, and I know that I found that the Godin gave me everything the solid body did and more. And they are around the same price and beautiful.

Vorzon has very similar ones that have been out for a few years for under $150, I had one but never found a valid use for it and sold it.

I had a similar problem with the LP style Vorson that I got from AMS, until I put nickel electric guitars strings similar in gage to 'octave mandolin' strings on it, and due to the shorter scale have it in CGDA tenor guitar tuning, but the 'candlewood' neck still has terrible flex, no matter how I adjust the truss rod. I bough a blemished model for $75 so I wont complain to much, and I keep it as a reminder of how some things should not be bought on price alone...and as a lesson...

Would that I could, get a better model later, and it is nice to see other luthiers making these besides Risa...

There's also Blue Star Guitar. The electronics on the Konablaster line are typically "less" than what I see with this etsy seller but can be special ordered and would be in about the same price ranges as here. Mo options is mo better. :)

I've been dying for a solid body electric baritone for about a year - I finally bit the bullet and ordered a Pono BE last week. Very impatiently awaiting its arrival at my local shop.

FYI:

The Pono and the Godin are BOTH not steel-string solid-body electric ukes with MAGNETIC pickups.

However...

The Pono and the Godin, and the RISA stick and RISA Uke'Elle all use piezo pickups and have nylon-type strings.

so...

The steel-string solid-body electric uke with MAGNETIC pickups, linked by the OP for sale on etsy, is only similar to the Konablaster, the RISA LP, Kamoa E5S/Alida, and Vorson mentioned by Mike and myself, are in fact steel-string solid-body electric ukes with MAGNETIC pickups.

Amplification is achieved by two completely different methods as nylon-type strings will not react to the magnetic field created by magnetic pickups, and thus be VERY quiet if you tried this and your amp at best would be producing either silence or a 50/60 hz hum.

Whereas, piezo pickups react to vibration, pressure or flexion, or some combination of any or all of these, and as such can work with any kinds of strings...

Timely thread. I've just bought an Eastwood Airline Solid Body Electric - I think it's great but have no experience with any thing else electric.
Anyone else played one? How does it compare to the RISA et al?

kohanmike - I am a little disappointed in you for not bringing up the Godin Multi-Uke, which we both have. Both Mike and I had solid body electric ukes, and I know that I found that the Godin gave me everything the solid body did and more. And they are around the same price and beautiful.

FYI: The Pono and the Godin are BOTH not steel-string solid-body electric ukes with MAGNETIC pickups. However... The Pono and the Godin, and the RISA stick and RISA Uke'Elle all use piezo pickups and have nylon-type strings, so... The steel-string solid-body electric uke with MAGNETIC pickups, linked by the OP for sale on etsy, is only similar to the Konablaster, the RISA LP, Kamoa E5S/Alida, and Vorson mentioned by Mike and myself, are in fact steel-string solid-body electric ukes with MAGNETIC pickups. Amplification is achieved by two completely different methods as nylon-type strings will not react to the magnetic field created by magnetic pickups, and thus be VERY quiet if you tried this and your amp at best would be producing either silence or a 50/60 hz hum. Whereas, piezo pickups react to vibration, pressure or flexion, or some combination of any or all of these, and as such can work with any kinds of strings...

I didn't mention the Godin because I don't put it in the same category as mentioned, nylon string piezo pup vs steel string magnetic pup.

I didn't mention the Godin because I don't put it in the same category as mentioned, nylon string piezo pup vs steel string magnetic pup.

Maybe I'm in the wrong thread too. The airline is nylon string/piezo.

FYI:

The Pono and the Godin are BOTH not steel-string solid-body electric ukes with MAGNETIC pickups.

However...

The Pono and the Godin, and the RISA stick and RISA Uke'Elle all use piezo pickups and have nylon-type strings. ...
in your opinion, which produces a more "uke-ish"sound"--- piezo or magnetic? (all other things being equal, and as *general rule*)

A 'nylon' string electric will sound more like a traditional uke than a steel string, however, using certain amps, there are settings to make a steel string sound more traditional sounding, likewise, there are settings to make a 'nylon' string sound more electric guitar like.

It is like the difference you get between an acoustic & an electric guitar. :)

in your opinion, which produces a more "uke-ish"sound"--- piezo or magnetic? (all other things being equal, and as *general rule*)

Hard to answer, defining "uke-ish"sound" is highly subjective and slippery slope.

IMHO, both are "uke-ish", but completely different, and both piezo pups and mag pups, sound nothing like a Martin, Kamaka or other acoustic uke.

Too many variables involved to make a blanket statement, and I do not wish to derail the tread into a debate about pickup technologies, differences in amplifiers, PA systems and recording interfaces...suffice it to say that no pickup will match exactly the acoustic resonance in the air that you hear with your ears, but they can only approximate the sound (piezos) and magnetic pickups do not primarily use acoustic resonance but rather disturbance of a magnetic field to create sound.

To me, the sound of an acoustic uke vs. uke with piezo vs. uke with steel-string magnetic is like comparing a dog vs. cat vs. fox...they are all furry critters, but not the same.

Imagine if you will, the sound of a classical guitar, and then compare it to the sound of a Les Paul or Stratocaster....

now ask yourself which is more 'guitar-ish'....

same problem = how YOU define the sound...

Still in doubt? - a YT search will reveal wonders and you can decide which sound it has:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=steel-string+solid+body+electric+ukulele

I own a Jupiter Creek LP style Concert(15") steel string ukulele and an Alida concert scale (16") steel string ukulele. Cool instruments.

First the Jupiter Creek. Its the Lead instrument in a Multi-track recording. The amp is a Garageband plugin.

I had a Risa LP that was really nice and if I wanted another steel string uke, would not hesitate to buy it.
I've given up on steel string ukes, however. I'm sticking to nylgut and fluorocarbon strings for ukes. I have steel strings on my tenor guitars and mandolin. These instruments are built for steel strings from the get go and don't need to be amplified. They are also tuned in fifths, giving a broader range in chord sounds and easy transposition.

My latest purchase is this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Johnson-Met...u9ZhXlhbROSmMkOSfr4LQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc At $160 including shipping, it is a steal. I can play it as a mandolin, remove four strings and play it as a small tenor guitar (soprano guitar) or use it for a hammer.

Top Bottom