PDA

View Full Version : Today George is my favorite Beatle.

Captain Simian
09-14-2017, 04:51 AM
Been a rough few months with very little playing time unfortunately. This made me break out a uke for the first time in 6 weeks.

"He came in with two ukuleles and gave me one. 'You gotta play this thing, it's great! Let's jam.' I have no idea how to play a ukulele. 'Oh, it's no problem, I'll show you.' So we spent the rest of the day playing ukuleles, strolling around the yard. My wrist hurt the next day. But he taught me how to play it, and a lot of the chord formations. When he was going I walked out to the car and he said, 'Well, wait... I want to leave some ukuleles here.' He'd already given me one, so I said, 'Well, I've got this.' 'No, we may need more!' He opened his trunk and he had a lot of ukulele in there, and I think he left four at my house. He said, 'Well, you never know when we might need them, because not everybody carries one around.'" - Tom Petty

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/69/dc/f8/69dcf8a20f2e1d75d48672025bcd46dd--george-harrison-the-beatles.jpg

Cornfield
09-14-2017, 04:56 AM
Been a rough few months with very little playing time unfortunately. This made me break out a uke for the first time in 6 weeks.

"He came in with two ukuleles and gave me one. 'You gotta play this thing, it's great! Let's jam.' I have no idea how to play a ukulele. 'Oh, it's no problem, I'll show you.' So we spent the rest of the day playing ukuleles, strolling around the yard. My wrist hurt the next day. But he taught me how to play it, and a lot of the chord formations. When he was going I walked out to the car and he said, 'Well, wait... I want to leave some ukuleles here.' He'd already given me one, so I said, 'Well, I've got this.' 'No, we may need more!' He opened his trunk and he had a lot of ukulele in there, and I think he left four at my house. He said, 'Well, you never know when we might need them, because not everybody carries one around.'" - Tom Petty

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/69/dc/f8/69dcf8a20f2e1d75d48672025bcd46dd--george-harrison-the-beatles.jpg

I don't think that George spent an inordinate amount of time discussing the merits and tonalities of different woods, makers ad /or strings. :cool:

janeray1940
09-14-2017, 05:11 AM
I don't think that George spent an inordinate amount of time discussing the merits and tonalities of different woods, makers ad /or strings. :cool:

This is the BEST thing I've read on here, in... well... ever, really :) Thanks for that.

George is always my favorite Beatle, today and everyday. Glad the OP was able to find some inspiration.

Croaky Keith
09-14-2017, 05:33 AM

I have a feeling that we had neither the internet nor forums back then - but he was probably busy rehearsing anyway. ;)

Osprey
09-14-2017, 05:35 AM
Very cool story. I have always loved George Harrison.

Ukulele Eddie
09-14-2017, 06:51 AM
I had heard Tom Petty was a uke but had not heard this story. Thanks for sharing!

Ziret
09-14-2017, 09:53 AM
Same reply, all the way.

This is the BEST thing I've read on here, in... well... ever, really :) Thanks for that.

George is always my favorite Beatle, today and everyday. Glad the OP was able to find some inspiration.

maki66
09-14-2017, 09:59 AM
Thanks for posting this. I always knew George was cool.

M3Ukulele
09-14-2017, 11:30 AM
George is great. Fantastic Story. I love the way he thinks. Its all about the playing and the fun and doing with other people. He was generous soul!

zztush
09-14-2017, 11:44 AM
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/69/dc/f8/69dcf8a20f2e1d75d48672025bcd46dd--george-harrison-the-beatles.jpg Let's play G like George Harrison!

cyber3d
09-14-2017, 12:17 PM
George Harrison, my hero.

Choirguy
09-14-2017, 02:58 PM
What I don't understand is how guitar players (isn't Petty a guitar player?) don't understand how to play ukulele. Since I was only a marginal guitar player, it was a relief to go to four strings--and I flew with it. Is it that hard to ignore two strings when the other positions are the same (different names, but same positions)?

AlohaKine
09-14-2017, 03:29 PM
Pretty cool reading...

At first I thought Cornfield was the one talking to George and got an Uke from him... LOL ;)

Cornfield
09-15-2017, 03:39 AM
Pretty cool reading...

At first I thought Cornfield was the one talking to George and got an Uke from him... LOL ;)

I agree :agree:

stevejfc
09-15-2017, 04:10 AM
If you watch the Martin Scorsese film "George Harrison: Living In a Material World", Tom Petty tells the "......you never know when you might need one" story in detail on camera.

Mezcalero
09-15-2017, 04:22 AM
I've seen the video of Petty talking about this.

What I don't understand is how guitar players (isn't Petty a guitar player?) don't understand how to play ukulele. Since I was only a marginal guitar player, it was a relief to go to four strings--and I flew with it. Is it that hard to ignore two strings when the other positions are the same (different names, but same positions)?

Considering the instruments were most likely not baritone size, there is the matter of the shapes being different different chords. I played guitar when I was younger, and so when I took up the ukulele last year, it took a few months for me to be able to look at a chord chart and associate G chord with what is a D chord on the guitar. Funnily enough, now when I pick up the baritone and am learning a new song from a chord chart, I find myself thinking in tenor.

raffrox
09-15-2017, 06:32 PM
That's a great story :)

I've heard a few stories about George Harrison and his love of the uke.

One Man And His Uke
09-15-2017, 09:17 PM
Agree, lovely story. Looks like he's playing a Kamaka. And is that a G7 or Fbm? Sadly George can't tell us :(

Cornfield
09-16-2017, 02:10 AM
Agree, lovely story. Looks like he's playing a Kamaka. And is that a G7 or Fbm? Sadly George can't tell us :(

I read somewhere that he had a trunk full of Kamaka Ukuleles. Like Charlie Tuna, he had good taste.

stevejfc
09-16-2017, 05:09 AM
His son Dhani has said that Kamaka concert ukes were his favorites. When in Hawaii he would buy all that he could get his hands on. Also, at his 50+ room English estate, Friar Park (aka Crackerbox Palace) he kept a uke in each room.

Rllink
09-16-2017, 06:29 AM
When he was going I walked out to the car and he said, 'Well, wait... I want to leave some ukuleles here.' He'd already given me one, so I said, 'Well, I've got this.' 'No, we may need more!' He opened his trunk and he had a lot of ukulele in there, and I think he left four at my house. He said, 'Well, you never know when we might need them, because not everybody carries one around.'" - Tom Petty

He evidently was not all that worried about all those "Kamaka" ukuleles sitting in the trunk of his car, out in the hot sun, either. Hope he had them all properly humidified. ;)

janeray1940
09-16-2017, 08:38 AM
His son Dhani has said that Kamaka concert ukes were his favorites. When in Hawaii he would buy all that he could get his hands on.

The story at my local shop (McCabe's in Santa Monica) was that he would do the same when he was in Los Angeles. I like to think it's a true story but somehow it seems nobody around today ever actually witnessed it.

He evidently was not all that worried about all those "Kamaka" ukuleles sitting in the trunk of his car, out in the hot sun, either. Hope he had them all properly humidified. ;)

:) :) :)

stevejfc
09-16-2017, 09:32 AM
The story at my local shop (McCabe's in Santa Monica) was that he would do the same when he was in Los Angeles. I like to think it's a true story but somehow it seems nobody around today ever actually witnessed it.

:) :) :)
His son Dhani actually told me that he (George) would buy out the store in Hawaii. I didn't ask about Santa Monica/L.A.

lfoo6952
09-16-2017, 03:22 PM
Did anyone catch "All Things Must Pass", now playing on Netflix? I give it 4 stars. Just when you thought you knew everything about the Beatles, there were quite a few revealing things in the film that I didn't know about George.

Nickie
09-16-2017, 04:18 PM
Did anyone catch "All Things Must Pass", now playing on Netflix? I give it 4 stars. Just when you thought you knew everything about the Beatles, there were quite a few revealing things in the film that I didn't know about George.

Thanks for the tip. Great thread, this. George was always my fave, from the 1st time I heard him play a sitar.

etudes
09-16-2017, 06:19 PM

I did see that- very interesting. The title is "Living in the Material World" isn't it?

UkerDanno
09-17-2017, 05:10 AM
One of my favorite songs to play inspired by this vid'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5k-OE0-fWs

lfoo6952
09-17-2017, 09:19 AM
I did see that- very interesting. The title is "Living in the Material World" isn't it?

You might be right. Sorry for the mistake. Anyway, it's playing on Netflix right now, so don't miss it.

igorthebarbarian
09-17-2017, 12:34 PM
You might be right. Sorry for the mistake. Anyway, it's playing on Netflix right now, so don't miss it.

The Tom Petty quote:
https://youtu.be/Npan0fvtIjg

Nickie
09-17-2017, 04:09 PM
First time I've ever seen a triplet stroke that makes any sense to me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYn_gx0R2rAhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYn_gx0R2rA