Do your ukuleles have names?

Iza

Reaction score
And is the most common ukulele name "Lilly"? :p

As a general rule, I tend not to anthropomorphize inanimate objects, so no I do not name my ukes.

I call them by make and model and scale length, or if more than one by wood or other specific features, i.e., Kala KA-T tenor, or Lava concert Fluke, Koa tenor Fluke with PegHeds, etc...

I do name pets, and when I was keeping aquarium fish, I named them too...:)

Some folks love naming things, and I say go for it if that is what brings you joy. :rock:

Just Ohana, Kala and Lanikai. They don't seem to mind.

Actually mine doesn't have a name either, but I've heard many people name their instruments. I found it cute. xD

Nope, I don't name my ukuleles, other than to call them by their make. I call my Mainland, Mainland, and my Makala, Makala.

Actually mine doesn't have a name either, but I've heard many people name their instruments. I found it cute. xD

Yes I name my ukes, thanks for thinking I'm cute, lol.

Luis who builds LfdM ukuleles asks that you name the instrument that you commission him to build for you, it makes it more personal. I have named most of my others as well. Although I usually refer to most of my ukes by the manufactures brand name. Depends on my mood, some I call names that cannot be repeated here. It is more a reflection of my poor playing at the moment then the quality of the uke.

Last edited:

Luis who builds LfdM ukuleles asks that you name the instrument that you commission him to build for you, it makes it more personal. Although I usually refer to most of my ukes by the manufactures brand name. Depends on my mood, some I call names that cannot be repeated here. It is more a reflection of my poor playing at the moment then the quality of the uke.
It isn't the uke's fault Dave.;)

Luis who builds LfdM ukuleles asks that you name the instrument that you commission him to build for you, it makes it more personal. I have named most of my others as well. Although I usually refer to most of my ukes by the manufactures brand name. Depends on my mood, some I call names that cannot be repeated here. It is more a reflection of my poor playing at the moment then the quality of the uke.

Downupdave.... you have way too many children . You often forgot their names so you just call it whatever came to your head when you are about to hit yourself with it. :D

Nice thread:)
my ukulele is called 'Lucille, my guitar 'Melynda' and my banjo is named after a great blues song'Divin' duck'.
I think there's nothing peculiar about naming your instruments:)

I name the one's I want to pass on to the certain members of the family and our family instrument library. I don't name them, they kind of name themselves.

Patrick: Koa/cedar Griffin. My name is carried on thru music played.

Two Feathers: Moore Bettah Bear claw spruce/Milo. In honor of a spiritual guide thru out my life. The woods were chosen to honor both our cultures and highly revered.
Xander: Cedar/Maple Chennel archtop bass. For a grand nephew. He and his brother are showing signs of being a third generation picker. This is from Great uncle Pat.

Mica Patrick: Spruce/Maple Chennel archtop baritone. Same as above. Their names were inscribed inside when built. Right now they're 4 and almost 6 years old. So I get to play them a few years yet before giving them up.

I'm having a George Thomas parlor guitar starting up soon if not already. I'm sure this one will end up with a name; Perhaps "Uncle Pat's Guitar". It's the end of 50 plus years of searching for that perfect guitar. It'll incorporate everything I want in a guitar and one that'll be passed on to future generations of family pickers.

My other instruments aren't named; just played and enjoyed.

Attachments

• 9852861_orig.jpg
    9852861_orig.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 11329830_958328280858316_5074512805874705195_n.jpg
    11329830_958328280858316_5074512805874705195_n.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 11212607_952599984764479_5467339108017805386_o.jpg
    11212607_952599984764479_5467339108017805386_o.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Just one, the Iriguchi keystone named Weeble. David is another builder that likes you to name the uke he is building for you. Other than that one, no.

Lanikai, Kanile'a, Islander, Martin and Fender...:shaka:

If I called out a name, it wouldn't come running to me, so no, no names from me.

I use the manufacturers description name for all except my Kala bari, which I just refer to as my cedar top bari, if you've seen what they call it, you'll understand. ;)

Mine are called 'The Makala', 'The Rob C' etc.They may be loved
and cherished.but they are not human!

I don't name my ukes, although yesterday at a gig I called my baritone Big Bad Bari...I don't know why apart from Big Bad Barry is a fish in the Ben And Holly cartoons. I have a young daughter. I have to know these things :D.

Also, I have a soprano, a concert and the aforementioned bari. If I get myself a tenor ( which I may well do in the not too distant future) I might call them John, George, Paul and Ringo. Then again, maybe not .....

Yes, in fact two of them have the same name. Oscar Schmidt.

Top Bottom