soprano low g

bt93

Reaction score
i was just wondering how it would sound to have a soprano with a low g. anyone with any experience with it? also, if i were to tune to low g, what is that not considered. (on the tuning site the g is G4)

You can give it a try, but for some ukes it doesn't work very well. The main problem is probably string tension.
I have tried Worth low-G and that was very twangy on a soprano. The Extra Hard (thicker than regular) did work, but string tension was quite hard (go figure). While nice as a novelty, I will just use low tuning on concert and tenor models. The extra sustain and volume just sound better, where the soprano had too little oomph to work well.

Just my personal experience, you can also just try it for yourself. You may have to widen your bridge/nut slots a bit though, so consider well before you jump in.

Low G: the G note below your C string. 5th fret on G is your third string C note.

hey brah,

correct me if i'm wrong, but are you trying to tune to a low G with a standard g-string? ;) I don't think you could do that. You actually have to buy a thicker, low G string. I have a set of Aguilas on my KK soprano with a wounded low G. Aguila sells these as a set, or individual low G for tenors from what i've seen. For me, these are the best strings for my ears. My Kamaka sounds beautiful when playing Iz's Somewhere over the Rainbow, despite what some people may think about it sounding on a soprano. I'll post a vid of this soon, but it does sound awesome. I don't know about other brands of sopranos. What do you have? Hope this helps.:shaka:

Yep, probably best to just get a string and give it a try.

Top Bottom