Help to identify a vintage Uke

GrumpyUke

Reaction score
I just picked up a vintage ukulele. It is a soprano, solid wood, with brass frets and wood pegs. The only identifying mark is the attached sticker inside the body and came in a wool felt bag with a booklet from the same company (a stamp put on the booklet) I researched the company and it was a general music instrament/print music store in Milwaukee. The booklet is copy written in 1912. It appears the ukulele might be from the 20's but I'm not sure. I was hoping someone else might have seen one. Any information would be appreciated.
IMG_1268.JPG
IMG_1269.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_5060.jpg
IMG_5062.jpg

I would think that the interior sticker would indicate that it was a ukulele made somewhere else as an import for that music store in Milwaukee. What would be interesting to know is if Hal Leonard (current) has any connection to that former company.

I thought it might be an import as well. I had located the article noted in the archive link as well as others which reference ukuleles being sold at the business. One referred to free lessons with the purchase of a ukulele. None of the articles I've located make any reference to the manufacturer. Thank you for the response.

I e-mailed the company and the answer was "We have been an electronics store since the 1970s. No one here knows anything about this."

I would think a company would want to know and celebrate its roots.

Probably Imported from Chicago in the late 20s or early 30s.

Yup. Probably a Harmony build, less likely a Regal. Possible it's imported from New Jersey though -what little I can see of the side profile of the headstock looks a little like Oscar Schmidt (the original American maker, not the revived brand name used on Asia-built instruments). More/better pictures would help with a more definitive ID.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the help. Here are some more photos. I didn't note the number printed above the inside label, 100 6432.
IMG_5066.jpg
IMG_5067.jpg
IMG_5069.jpg
IMG_5072.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5075.jpg
    IMG_5075.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 12
Top Bottom