hypothetical

hoosierhills

Reaction score
If Mainland ukes were to do a limited edition, what would you want to see as far as type of headstock, tuners, tonewoods, etc.?

Curly koa, slotted headstock w/stealth tuners, rope binding, concert size. And/or a concert size 8-string...:shaka:

When thinking of a "limited edition" I tend to think of options that are not usually available. So, for Mainland, here are my thoughts:
Tonewood: Koa (or at least acacia)
Headstock: I personally like traditional shape headstock but would want it to have Gotoh UPT tuners.
Finish: Gloss
Pick-up: Not required, but optional
Binding: I think the rope binding is a Mainland "signature" so I would like to see it stay on the limited edition. Maybe do a different wood combination? Or also include it on the back?

I'm interested to see what others would like to see on their Mainland.

Koa soprano with rope binding and a option for peg head tuners

How about a 16" scale curly koa concert with UPT tuners, rope binding, rope style fret board position markers, and a rope bound side sound port.

How about a 16" scale curly koa concert with UPT tuners, rope binding, rope style fret board position markers, and a rope bound side sound port.

+1 on that suggestion. Or 19" tenor with the other specs

Figured Mango cutaway tenor with open Hipshot tuners. Koa body binding and rosette (could do bound neck as well). Stain body blue (or keep lighter versus darker) and add a gloss finish. Satin neck. Traditional headstock. Side sound port.

I would buy to see slotted headstock and ebony fingerboard and Spanish heel on a standard 13" scale soprano.

I'll go out on a limb and suggest a tulip poplar top, rosewood body, slothead with padauk binding. (Tulip poplar is the Indiana State tree)

+1 on that suggestion. Or 19" tenor with the other specs

Figured Mango cutaway tenor with open Hipshot tuners. Koa body binding and rosette (could do bound neck as well). Stain body blue (or keep lighter versus darker) and add a gloss finish. Satin neck. Traditional headstock. Side sound port.

Another +1 on a 19" tenor. Either slotted head or +1 on the Hipshot tuners. +1 gloss w/satin neck

Also would like side sound port, radiused fretboard, slotted head, arm bevel.

Maybe use all North American woods (Walnut or Pistachio or maple fretboards).
Softwood top (redwood or bear claw sitka). Claro walnut, myrtle, or curly/birdseye maple back & sides.

My suggestion is that what ever the design and materials it justifies this label: "Made in Indiana, USA".

I'll go out on a limb and suggest a tulip poplar top, rosewood body, slothead with padauk binding. (Tulip poplar is the Indiana State tree)

I like these ideas - locally sourced materials - locally assembled - and if the wood combo is meaningful as per kkimura's post (state tree). All would entice me further to Mainland for one of these ukes over the Asian-imports with USA company names.

I have nothing against the imports, but too much manufacturing is done far away for cheap labor costs, and buying 'local' keeps the work, the jobs, and the materials 'local' - and means something to me.

Top Bottom