iRig Acoustic Stage ...with what portable amp?

flailingfingers

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am totally non amp/sound/ electronic savy. Totally. All I want to do is add the iRig Stage and plug it into a portable amp. I would like that amp to also be able to plug into power and have an input for a mic. Suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

Last edited:
What are you going to use it for? That has a lot to do with the whole selection process. You mentioned that you want a mic input -- do you mean a separate input (so you can plug in the iRig and a separate mic for vocal)? At that point you need some way to mix the two signals. You also might want to think about what kind of EQ (equalization) control there is. Think of the basic "tone" control on stuff, offering the ability to either boost the bass or -- on the other end -- the "treble", that's pretty basic. I like things to have at least three controls; bass, mid-range and treble (the high end).

Then there's the power question: How much to you want/need to amplify? Are you busking on a busy city street, or do you just want to fill a small, quiet room?

Whatever it is you want to do there is probably a tidy self-contained solution out there. If you give folks more information you'll get much better advice :)

The Roland Cube Street is a sweet amp that gives you both a vocal (mic) channel and an instrument input -- and offers separate EQ for both, along with reverb on the vocal side. It's a nice package -- but it's also $300.

Last edited:
For portable amp I use a crate limo.
I have a Roland which is nice for very small venues, but the crate is 60 amps.

Whatever it is you want to do there is probably a tidy self-contained solution out there. If you give folks more information you'll get much better advice :)
I plan on using it in small to medium size rooms...perhaps 20 x 30 max. I see myself using the mic for singing. Also see myself playing and singing while car camping in the Utah canyons.....speaker aimed at the canyon walls.
Hope that helps.

The Roland AC-33 is a great unit for the money and will do all that you need to do. Its very similar to the Street Cube but its aimed more squarely for acoustic performances. For a quality unit that can be battery powered these Roland units are hard to beat. If they're too expensive for you then it's going to come down to what compromises you are willing to make to save money.

I plan on using it in small to medium size rooms...perhaps 20 x 30 max. I see myself using the mic for singing. Also see myself playing and singing while car camping in the Utah canyons.....speaker aimed at the canyon walls.
Hope that helps.

OK, now we can narrow it down to: portable, battery-powered, perhaps about 10 - 15 watts of power for a small room, with clean sound for vocals. Lots of choices but I would start by looking at the Roland line of products, as others have recommended.

How would the iRig work with a Blackstar Fly amp? I just have the base 3 W amp at present but was planning to add the extension to make it a 6 W set-up. No real purpose in mind at the moment. The amp was an impulse buy while meandering around in a music store.

I also recommend the Blackstar Fly 3 Bass dual setup. It's very small, battery, yet puts out a big sound. I use it with a bass uke and five other uke players for hospital gigs roaming from room to room. It should do well in the situations you describe. I also have a Crate Limo USA (much better than the later Chinese version) with battery, 50 watts, but it's big and heavy.

I have the Roland BA330 and my wife and I love it. She plays violin and I play guitar, mandolin, ukulele. This amp puts out 40 watts of power, enough for a small-to-medium size room. It has 4 channels, 1&2 can take a mic or an instrument, 3&4 are both stereo channels, so it's actually possible to plug 6 instruments into this (use 3&4 as 2 mono channels each). It can run on 8 AA batteries or on AC power. It's the same output whether on batteries on on AC. There are other Roland battery powered amps which put out 40 watts when plugged in but only 30 watts when using batteries. This BA330 can run on batteries for over 8 hours. It can use rechargeable batteries but there is not recharger built into the amp. It's got a great acoustic sound. It comes with a speaker stand mount built-in so it can be put up on a stand. It has a kickstand so that when it sits on the floor it can be tilted back. It also has a special output so that if a person wants to buy two of these for a more powerful setup, one of these can be used as master and the other as a slave, or they can both be used as masters with their own inputs and output sent to both sets of speakers, for a very nice complete PA system. But so far my wife and I have done some great performances with only one of these, and I've used it as a PA amp with my community band when we didn't want to bring our full-sized system.

The Roland AC-33 is a great unit for the money and will do all that you need to do. Its very similar to the Street Cube but its aimed more squarely for acoustic performances. For a quality unit that can be battery powered these Roland units are hard to beat. If they're too expensive for you then it's going to come down to what compromises you are willing to make to save money.

Yes to th Roland AC33 too!!!

Top Bottom