What should be my next tenor purchase?

ayee

Reaction score
I just bought a Kamaka HF-3 as my first serious ukulele and I've been thinking about what I should start saving up for next. If you had a budget of ~$1500 what would be your second tenor?

I'm a big fan of Pohaku ukuleles. If I had $1500 or so, that's where I'd start looking (not a huge fan of the models they have available right now, but it can't hurt to talk to Peter. Some of his deco stuff has been absolutely divine!)

Start saving but give it a year or so, maybe longer, of playing your Kamaka. You need to connect with the Kamaka to understand what you really like and what you don't care for as much. In the meantime try a few different ukuleles when the opportunity arises. You may want a radius fretboard, or a cut-away, not to mention the obvious one of different tone woods.

John

If I had that money, I'd look to upgrade either my 6 or 8 string. I love the fuller sound the extra strings give.

I'm in a similar situation. I have a HF-3L. I'll tell you what I'm doing. I'm aiming at a custom tenor from a smaller, independent builder. Diversity is my motivation. I have a fine representative of the Hawaiian, assembly-line koa variety. Now I want something different. Right now I am still in the money-saving stage of the process and therefore I haven't actually committed to anything, but as of right now my plan is to have this built: same scale as the HF-3L, cutaway body, body made of some quirky wood, sound board with something red like sequoia, friction tuners, a skinnier headstock similar to an old guitar like a Bacon & Day.

Black Bear (Duane Heilman), Pohaku (Peter Hurney), Ono (David Ingalls).
no need to look further than these three wonderful builders.
OK, except maybe Maui Music (Peter Liebermann).

Thanks everyone who has responded so far. It's been great having new and interesting options to start looking up. I feel like it's pretty easy to gather a lot of information about the various K brands but not so much about some of the smaller unique luthiers. Plus I feel like there are so many that I have no idea where to start.
Now I need to find somewhere to try some of these instruments and different woods/body options.

You have a great representation of the gold standard in Hawaiian built koa tenors. I would go for a different tone, spruce or cedar top and rosewood, myrtle, mahogany or walnut back give a very resonant sound. Your budget could allow you access to most custom builders if bought used here in the Marketplace or new from builders like Ono, Little River and others

If I had that money, I'd look to upgrade either my 6 or 8 string. I love the fuller sound the extra strings give.

That's a great suggestion. But, it depends on what you're looking for. More bling? Look at the HF-3D, Or Ohta-San. Different sound? Check out different tone woods. You'll probably know it when you see or hear it.

I just bought a Kamaka HF-3 as my first serious ukulele and I've been thinking about what I should start saving up for next. If you had a budget of ~$1500 what would be your second tenor?

Blackbird Farallon, no doubt. I just got one, and it is every bit and good as everyone says... Easily the most "playable" uke I've ever tried, and the sound is superb. As resonant and clear as a high-end "Big K" -- warm like koa, but with its own sound.

Blackbird Farallon, no doubt. I just got one, and it is every bit and good as everyone says... Easily the most "playable" uke I've ever tried, and the sound is superb. As resonant and clear as a high-end "Big K" -- warm like koa, but with its own sound.

What he said!

why do you need to buy another one? But honestly you may not really need another one, esp if you are happy with the Kamaka. Think about why. Sound? Kamaka has a certain sound, esp if using their stock strings. It is harpish to me. Also feel. The Kanilea has a different sound and feel with the stock Aquila strings which are thick like the nylon Kamaka; to me it is similar to the Kala feel and sound. The tension seems less, it is easy to play. Koaloha uses the thinner Worth I think, and the feel is different; to me the sound is bright. For myself the thin strings sometimes gets on my nerves though. All 3 are high quality just as a disclaimer.

I have all 3 and the Kamaka is my go-to, esp if I only have 15 minutes to play. I will play the others just for variety.

why do you need to buy another one? But honestly you may not really need another one, esp if you are happy with the Kamaka.

Yeah, this is sort of why I asked the question. I had a bunch of fun researching the K brands before buying the Kamaka. I'm definitely really happy with it right now and I was thinking to myself, am I going to need to buy another one? I see people selling instruments on the market board, which makes me want to buy them since they're a good deal, but why do I need it? It's hard to justify it.
So it's fun to ask since many people on this forum have quite a few instruments, so just probing the minds of people to see what they would do in my position.

I think having the opportunity to experience the other tone wood builds would be nice. I just need to find a shop with a good selection. Rochester is not the best place for that.

Instead of buying another tenor (or concert), you could invest in a baritone which will give you a totally different sound and tonal range. Or a nice soprano which will also have a voice much different from a tenor. There are many good sounding tenors even in a modest price range, but for a soprano, it is well worth spending a bit more in order to have one that truly sounds nice.

As for tenors: It sure is fun being able to compare the different K brands, but is this what you want? Nothing wrong with that, and it's what I and many others have done in the past. But you already have an ultimate Hawaiian made Koa wood instrument, so instead of a "duplicate", you might want to find out about different tone woods and makers? Perhaps something more guitar-like, like a Pono Pro Classic with a slotted headstock and possibly a cutaway? Or save up more to get a luthier made instrument to your own specs?

Yeah, this is sort of why I asked the question. I had a bunch of fun researching the K brands before buying the Kamaka. I'm definitely really happy with it right now and I was thinking to myself, am I going to need to buy another one? I see people selling instruments on the market board, which makes me want to buy them since they're a good deal, but why do I need it? It's hard to justify it.
So it's fun to ask since many people on this forum have quite a few instruments, so just probing the minds of people to see what they would do in my position.

I think having the opportunity to experience the other tone wood builds would be nice. I just need to find a shop with a good selection. Rochester is not the best place for that.
I am exactly where you are, except in a concert. I'm a novice player who did a lot of research before deciding on a KoAloha. I was saving up some money, but lucky me, my mom offered to buy it for my birthday. Now I have my saved up money to buy something different. I've tried a tenor, but it's not for me. I haven't tried a soprano. Part of me is itching to buy something now because I have the money, and the other part wants to wait and give it more thought.

What gets me going as far as a new ukulele, is finding a non/low production one. I've played K brands, some great some okay, but they are kind of like buying a Taylor, Martin, Gibson guitar. You have a serial number in the ten thousands. I'd much prefer a one man/woman shop that makes good quality instruments that not everyone has.

John

Last edited:
I am exactly where you are, except in a concert. I'm a novice player who did a lot of research before deciding on a KoAloha. I was saving up some money, but lucky me, my mom offered to buy it for my birthday. Now I have my saved up money to buy something different. I've tried a tenor, but it's not for me. I haven't tried a soprano. Part of me is itching to buy something now because I have the money, and the other part wants to wait and give it more thought.

Love your concert scale.... want to try a soprano.... simple.... buy a 'long neck'.... best of both rolled into one uke. :D

What gets me going as far as a new ukulele, is finding a non/low production one. I've played K brands, some great some okay, but they are kind of like buying a Taylor, Martin, Gibson guitar. You have a serial number in the ten thousands. I'd much prefer a one man/woman shop that makes good quality instruments that not everyone has.

John

Again, try Blackbird if you want something different that not a lot of people have. And with a three month wait, their decidedly working at boutique levels of production. Of course, you've got to be willing to jump into the ekoa waters (come on in, it's warm!)

Again, try Blackbird if you want something different that not a lot of people have. And with a three month wait, their decidedly working at boutique levels of production. Of course, you've got to be willing to jump into the ekoa waters (come on in, it's warm!)

I really like the looks of the Clara, wish they had an Ekoa tenor in the same shape. The Farallon shape is too traditional a shape for the more progressive material build.

John

Top Bottom