Holding Uke while Standing

gauke

Reaction score
I've searched for this online and all the explanations seem like this is the simplest thing ever, but I just can't seem to keep a hold of my ukulele and play while standing.

One way I've tried (keeping it between by body and my arm) causes the fretboard to pop out a good 90 degrees from my body if I don't keep a wrangle of it, but that slows down every key change I make.

Another way I try (pressing down with my lower arm) has it slide slowly down until I find some nonexistent break in the song to shimmy it back up.

Is there something I'm missing or is this something that I've just got to get more practiced at?

Some people hold it in the crook of their strumming arm (like right in the bend of you elbow) and hold it up against your chest. It can look a little goofy, but it stops it from falling.

I've gotten used to just pressing agains my body with my forearm, and don't have trouble supporting them anymore.

If you're really having troule, you could try a strap that hooks into the soundhole and comes around the back of the uke to a lanyard-like strap to go around your neck. Look on eBay for "Uke Thongs" ;)

Or you could put a strap pin in the bottom end of the uke, put a strap on it and tie the strap to the head (of the ukulele, that is :) ). Then wear the uke like it was a gui#@r. The strap frees your hands for fumbling around with the notestand while you're on stage ;). The uke thongs work fine as long as you hold on to the uke, but one lapse of thought and you've taught your uke how to do a somersault while falling towards the floor. :eek:

strap

I got a very simple mandolin strap. It works well for both tenor and soprano sizes, and has no hardware that can bang or scratch your uke. Very adjustable and lightweight. Easy to remove if necessary. I had the music store add a strap button(s) (two on the tenor, one on the soprano), and it has worked great. No regrets.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XPRMSU

Those straps that hook onto the sound hole worry me. And, I think it distracts from the clean appearance of the uke.

–Lori

i've found that it just comes over time. one of my subs online www.youtube.com/doogey9 (check out his videos, great channel) - he has quite a few useful money saving ukulele tips, including strap substitutions such as coloured chord etc. it doesn't have to look pretty so long as it does the job!

I made a strap out of cloth belts from the Goodwill store. The ends are attached with velcro. My uke is cheap enough that it doesn't affect the value (Makala MK-C). It works and I don't even take it off when it goes intot he case. I used cloth so the strap would fold up and be soft/light. I used a combination of glue, thread, and staples to put it together. I even added a couple of spots to velcro picks onto the strap.

You can see it HERE if you have not already.

I always make sure I have a short sleeve - if I'm playing my uke at work I roll up my right sleeve...better sticktion between my pasty white forearm and my shiny uke...

I like this idea... but where do the staples go? This part is freaking me out a bit.

The only place I used staples was to attach the hook side velcro squares to the end of the strap. I could have sewn them on but laziness overtook the operation. The velcro squares are about a 1/2 inch with glue on the back. I put the soft/ loop side on the Uke.

There are three supplies I use regularly - Superglue, velcro, and staples.

Top Bottom