Woodworm or nothing to worry about?

pix.fairydust

Reaction score
20170928_205830.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Do ukuleles get woodworm? There's a small hole in the fretboard of my new ukulele. Please tell me this is just an imperfection?

***** Never mind, this has been sorted now, it's all good*****

Last edited:
I don't know about wood worms. Do you have wood worm infestations wherever you live? How old is this ukulele? If it is some sort of wood eating worm, why did it pick that particular place to burrow in? Has it been sitting out, or has it been in a case? How far down does the hole go if you stick a toothpick or something down in it? If it is a worm, is the worm still in there? If you stick a toothpick down in there, does it come out with worm guts on it? I would be more inclined to believe that it was there when you got it, but I'm just guessing. I mean, that's all I can do, is guess.

Not a knot expert, but judging by the grain around it, that is a teeny knot that did not get filled.

I agree with the comment above. It looks to me to be a natural feature of the wood. I wouldn't even call it an imperfection - just part of your uke's character.

What was it?

To me it looks like a burn mark left by some dying-out embers/ash, like the kind that would waft up from a bonfire/campfire when unseasoned wood is burned and makes that crackling and popping noise...

Top Bottom