Stupid Deal of the Day - Lanikai CMTU-T Curly Mango TunaUke Tenor $150

besley

Reaction score
J21439000001000-00-250x250.jpg

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid?src=3TP6G7A&r=2054837_128564

What's this TunaUke technology? Sounds a bit fishy to me.

Might be a good uke, but it's a laminate. not necessarily a bad thing, but I bought my Islander [by Kanilea] AT-4 [laminate acacia] for about the same price and it is my go to beater. a really nice looking/sounding/playing instrument, one of my favs and I have a few.

I wonder why they are cutting the price 50% on a $299 ukulele?

I wonder why they are cutting the price 50% on a $299 ukulele?
Probably because it's one of the older models that have been discontinued:
http://lanikaiukuleles.com/product/cmtu-t-curly-mango-tenor-tunauke/

What's this TunaUke technology? Sounds a bit fishy to me.
Instead of of a normal saddle it has four seperate liddle saddles that can be pushed back and forth to adjust intonation for each string.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzsj6rcsx8U

They also have several other tuna-uke models for sale at deeply discounted prices last time I checked. I really like the concept of being able to adjust the saddle easily for intonation, like on an electric guitar with an adjust bridge. So long as the action didn't come too low they'd be pretty nice I think. I'm just thinking of action adjustments with the height of the saddles...I'm sure I could take them out and adjust them down...but getting a new piece if you need higher action would be the challenge.

Buyer be aware: Musician's Friend does NOT do setups. Most of the time they don't even open the box when they receive an instrument. They just take it into their warehouse and then ship it out to you. That said, they do have an excellent return policy. If there is a problem they will usually e-mail you a return shipping label and refund you once they receive the instrument back.
If you simply just don't like the instrument, they'll take that back too but shipping is on you.

Hint: If they're running a coupon, like they often do for 10 or 15 percent off, and the item doesn't show up as qualifying for it, call them. You can get some good deals by just picking up the phone. They're running one now like that. Coupon code: "fall" . They also have one active until the 6th I think that is coupon code "crazy". It's for 20-25% off some things.

Last edited:
I bought a uke case from an Amazon seller (not Musicians Friend) and by accident received a Lanikai solid koa tuna uke. Before returning it, I strummed a time or two and was not impressed. For one thing, it weighed a ton and lacked any sort of resonance. It was not set up. And the adjustable saddle was a pain and hard to get the intonation right. I was happy to return it and later receive the case (which sold for about $350 less than the uke). Had I mistakenly received a Kamaka ... who knows?

Top Bottom