RIP Tom Petty

Cornfield

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
We lost a great song writer yesterday. I don't know if he ever played ukulele on tour. Here is a video where he talks about George Harrison and the ukulele.

I get a notice that the video is restricted. Can you re-post or provide the link? Thanks!

Yeah, bummer that TP passed. I play guitar, harp, sing in a Petty band, so it was a shocker for all of us. He kicked alot of vices, but I think the heavy smoking was probably his personal heartbreaker in the end, plus the stress of his recent 50 gig tour. I was just playing Wildflowers on my uke this morning. I hope he's now in the "Room at the Top"

Last edited:
Yeah, bummer that TP passed. I play guitar, harp, sing in a Petty band, so it was a shocker for all of us. He kicked alot of vices, but I think the heavy smoking was probably his personal heartbreaker in the end, plus the stress of his recent 50 gig tour. I was just playing Wildflowers on my uke this morning. I hope he's now in the "Room at the Top"

I have not seen this video before. It's fitting for the occasion.

I hate to see him go at only 66, but he was lucky. A heart attack is easier than languishing from cancer or COPD, or some other evil thing like those.
I hope I get to laugh myself to death.

The video above about George Harrison is from the movie All Things Must Pass. It's on Netflix.

Last edited:
My world got a little bit dimmer when I learned the news. Tom had a unique talent for creating timeless songs that weren't forced or artsy but werre pure Americana and just sounded cool. Wildflowers was one of my favorite albums and hearing that he was planning a new tour around it makes this even more tragic. Godspeed amigo.

I get a notice that the video is restricted. Can you re-post or provide the link? Thanks!

With any 'embedded' YT video, if you click the white text that appears in the top left (which is also the title of the vid on YT) it will open the video itself ON YT instead of being embedded, and this magically works everywhere online. So if you cannot see it on UU, you can click on the white text and watch it on YT.

As such, the above method works for me as per the time of posting this message...if it still does not work, then maybe some of your web browser add-ons are blocking it?

Having said the above, I am very sad to see he has passed away.

We have lost too many music legends in the past few years.

He will be missed.

ETA: Last night I caught the last 10 mins of an interview he did on PBS with Tavis Smiley, and what I saw was very interesting, and I will be looking to see if that full content is online somewhere, but PBS is funny with what they offer via the web vs broadcast...

Last edited:
This one hit me particularly hard. Tom Petty was epic in his unassuming, understated style. Definitely leaves a hole in the music world.

News of Petty's death stunned me as I'm sure it did many others. My first reaction was one of disbelief. Certainly passing at 66 is a lot sooner than one would hope for or expect. I think the impact was even more for me because he isn't a whole lot older than I am and I can distinctly remember him coming up and then really making a name for himself with the release of "Damn The Torpedoes", a great album. He had a lot of great songs over the years, many of which were part of the soundtrack of my growing up/early adult years. His passing points to the grim reality of my own mortality despite the little part of my mind that thinks that I and people in my lifetime that I admire and enjoy are somehow going to live forever. I'm sorry to see him go but I'm thankful for the great music that I can continue to enjoy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom