compatibility of chambered body uke and "electric guitar" amp?

DaveY

Reaction score
I'm about to receive a new Godin Multiuke, and I'm wondering if it's worth getting an amp such as the Boss Katana 50 (or other amp designed for a solid body electric guitar).

That is, would I be getting my money's worth on such an amp, or would I be better off just using my Zoom G3 multi-effects pedal through my amp or PA? The Katana also has "acoustic" and "clean" settings, so I'd still have those options. And the Multiuke has active pickups (4, one per string), if that matters.

Depends on what sound you want. Since you already have the G3, I'd recommend spending some time with it before considering amps. You should at least be able to find what kind(s) of amp models you like and that will guide your amp search - if you decide you even need another.

Depends on what sound you want. Since you already have the G3, I'd recommend spending some time with it before considering amps. You should at least be able to find what kind(s) of amp models you like and that will guide your amp search - if you decide you even need another.

I agree with Jim. Since the Zoom has amp simulations just stick with it for a while until you have a good idea yourself what you really want or need.

Thanks to both of you. I figured that would sense; I was partly looking for someone to enable me towards buying the amp. But seriously, it does make sense to run the uke through what I have first, and maybe that will be all I'll want or need.

On a related note, I got a Multiuke some time ago and absolutely love it. I hope you get along with yours.

On a related note, I got a Multiuke some time ago and absolutely love it. I hope you get along with yours.

Thanks, photo... mine arrives today. Some weeks ago I was shocked to see a used one in a Guitar Center(!), and I was very impressed with how playable it was, and how it sounded and looked. I trust that I'll still be impressed today, even without that special G. Center ambience.

Thanks, photo... mine arrives today. Some weeks ago I was shocked to see a used one in a Guitar Center(!), and I was very impressed with how playable it was, and how it sounded and looked. I trust that I'll still be impressed today, even without that special G. Center ambience.

Congratulations, great ukes. A friend owns one and I have played it through my Fishman Loudbox Mini and it sounded great. Another member here was asking about amps for the Godin........he got the Fishman and loves it.

This is UU and I could not have you disappointed by a lack of enablers cheering you on to...."buy it, buy it, buy it".

My work here is done

Congratulations, great ukes. A friend owns one and I have played it through my Fishman Loudbox Mini and it sounded great. Another member here was asking about amps for the Godin........he got the Fishman and loves it.

This is UU and I could not have you disappointed by a lack of enablers cheering you on to...."buy it, buy it, buy it".

My work here is done

Your empathy is Nobel-prize worthy. They don't have a prize for "Enabling" (an oversight), but your efforts might qualify for "Peace" or "Economics."

I already have a Loudbox Mini, and am very happy with it . . . so that puts me back at the Katana, but at least for today I'm distracted by listening for the pitter-patter of the FedEx guy.

A few months ago I was lucky enough to get a Multiuke here in the UU Marketplace for $400 in pristine condition. What a great instrument, sounds much better unplugged than I could ever imagine. I’ve used it with a Crate Limo 50w combo battery amp and even with a Phil Jones Double Four bass amp, which sounded surprisingly good. Fishman Loudbox mini would be great with it.

There have only been a couple of electric amps I've played through that I thought were worth the effort. Even then, the sound was "fun" for a moment, but not something I'd want to be stuck with. Both were old Fenders - a Super Reverb and a Pro Reverb (tube amps).

Every solid state (non-tube) guitar amp I've played through has sounded like total garbage compared to the Fenders. Not worth it. Even then, the Fenders wouldn't be worth it either when I could roll up with my sound in a pedal.

I don't think there's much that your Zoom through a PA couldn't do that an electric amp could.

Last edited:
I know you've all been wondering what happened, so . . .

Rationally, I accepted the advice to just try the Zoom G3 first. Which I did, which reminded me that the thing is too complex for me, and so I decided to sell it – but only after buying and trying out a Roland Micro Cube GX, whose controls are simplified and evident, yet varied. It worked great not just through the amp itself, but with the amp connected to my mixer and PA. So it's a simple "multi-effects pedal" that also works as an amp (and that can run on batteries).

I had tried some other small amps (Blackstar, Boss Katana Mini), and once had a Vox Mini, but this M-Cube is by far the best, to my ears. I've actually ordered another M-Cube to try combining them or to use a very portable setup (uke and vocals, or keyboard and vocals), but if that doesn't work, I'll return one.

"Keyboard" because the M-Cube also sounds quite good with a small keyboard (Roland Lucina), and is good enough singing through a mic (which allows some interesting vocal effects). But playing the uke through it is great fun, and somewhat educational.

And I already had a Zoom G2 before the G3, so I'm selling the G3 (anyone interested?) and keeping the much simpler G2 (equally good-sounding, I think) -- which I admit is even more portable than the M-Cube.

(Fortunately, Brad, I've never played through a tube amp, and now never will, 'cause it might ruin everything for me.)

Top Bottom