PDA

View Full Version : History of Crazy G

Pleasure Paul
10-05-2017, 12:08 AM
What is the history of the Crazy G tune? Who made it? Is there an original version? If not, could you recommend a good version? Thanks.

arpie
10-05-2017, 02:35 AM
It's a great tune, isn't it? There are many variations of it ..... I reckon this one is the best tutorials ..... by fellow UU member Lowroller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOFbRkEJjhI

Here is a great version of it to play, very similar to the above video
http://kauairainbow.com/Ukulele/Crazy%20G/Crazy%20G.pdf

Enjoy

RP

Uncle Rod Higuchi
10-05-2017, 06:29 AM
OK, here goes... not regarding the 'History' of Crazy G, but 'my' history with Crazy G :)

it was the mid to late 60's while I was in college in Chicago and was visited by a fellow
Hawaiian who was attending another college about 20 miles away,

anyway, we were playing the uke and he broke out in Crazy G. Wow, I thought, I'd like to
learn that. so I asked him about it and he showed me the basic G-Em7 and Gm-C9 changes
that make up the most recognizable 'melody' portion of Crazy G.

after he left, I tried to remember what I had heard.

OK, forward 50 years!! by this time I had 'created' a rendition of Crazy G, at least that was
what I called it :)

I have written out a chord sheet for parts A, B, and C based on what I think I remember my friend
playing 50 years ago! That done, I have been teaching my students and STRUM my rendition of
'Crazy G'.

if anyone wants my worksheets, email me at ( rohiguchi@seattleschools.org ).

I'll also try to explain how to read them so as to diminish the confusion... hopefully

keep uke'in',

PS I'll try to post a link to my rendition of Crazy G so you can listen and see
if you even want to learn it :) it may take me a while to do this... or if you
email me I could send you an MP3 once I record it

Pleasure Paul
10-05-2017, 11:28 AM
And, forgot to ask in my OP, how old is this tune? Rod learned it in the 'mid to late 60's'. Is there evidence of it being older than that?

Uncle Rod Higuchi
10-05-2017, 12:41 PM
a visitor to STRUM from New York, a few months ago, mentioned that she had heard a similar melody
or a similar song title as a piano piece several decades ago. she was, let's say a 'senior' citizen :)

keep uke'in',

librainian
10-06-2017, 02:26 PM
The mystery continues. This pops up every couple years and no one seems to know! I find it odd considering how widely known it is. I would love to know.

lakesideglenn
10-06-2017, 02:55 PM
I'm just guessing here but isn't that an original Roy Smeck tune?

Strumdaddy
10-06-2017, 07:00 PM
Intuition would say "Roy Smeck", but I can't find any correlation between Mr Smeck and the tune "crazy G".
I too am very curious about Crazy G's origins. Come on UU brains trust - if any collective can solve the mystery, we can!

Pleasure Paul
10-08-2017, 03:51 AM
I guess it originated as an accompanied uke tune, not as a solo. The reason for this guess is that the theme's second chord ('Gm') is actually a C9, but lacking its fundamental. No problem when there's a bass around, but in solo form it sounded rather odd to me when I first heard it.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
12-23-2017, 06:14 AM
Just a heads up, a friend videoed me playing my rendition of something like Crazy G and posted it in his
YouTube channel, Eddie SAMs. You can find it by searching 'uncle Rod crazy g' :)

There's also a 'Shameless' thread about a "rendition of something like Crazy G" started Dec 21st.

I hope you enjoy it and can make sense of the diagrammatic transcription...it's all there :)

Keep uke'in',