History of Crazy G

Pleasure Paul

Reaction score
What is the history of the Crazy G tune? Who made it? Is there an original version? If not, could you recommend a good version? Thanks.

It's a great tune, isn't it? There are many variations of it ..... I reckon this one is the best tutorials ..... by fellow UU member Lowroller

Here is a great version of it to play, very similar to the above video
http://kauairainbow.com/Ukulele/Crazy G/Crazy G.pdf

Enjoy

RP

Last edited:
OK, here goes... not regarding the 'History' of Crazy G, but 'my' history with Crazy G :)

it was the mid to late 60's while I was in college in Chicago and was visited by a fellow
Hawaiian who was attending another college about 20 miles away,

anyway, we were playing the uke and he broke out in Crazy G. Wow, I thought, I'd like to
learn that. so I asked him about it and he showed me the basic G-Em7 and Gm-C9 changes
that make up the most recognizable 'melody' portion of Crazy G.

after he left, I tried to remember what I had heard.

OK, forward 50 years!! by this time I had 'created' a rendition of Crazy G, at least that was
what I called it :)

I have written out a chord sheet for parts A, B, and C based on what I think I remember my friend
playing 50 years ago! That done, I have been teaching my students and STRUM my rendition of
'Crazy G'.

if anyone wants my worksheets, email me at ( rohiguchi@seattleschools.org ).

I'll also try to explain how to read them so as to diminish the confusion... hopefully

keep uke'in',

PS I'll try to post a link to my rendition of Crazy G so you can listen and see
if you even want to learn it :) it may take me a while to do this... or if you
email me I could send you an MP3 once I record it

Last edited:
And, forgot to ask in my OP, how old is this tune? Rod learned it in the 'mid to late 60's'. Is there evidence of it being older than that?

a visitor to STRUM from New York, a few months ago, mentioned that she had heard a similar melody
or a similar song title as a piano piece several decades ago. she was, let's say a 'senior' citizen :)

keep uke'in',

Intuition would say "Roy Smeck", but I can't find any correlation between Mr Smeck and the tune "crazy G".
I too am very curious about Crazy G's origins. Come on UU brains trust - if any collective can solve the mystery, we can!

I guess it originated as an accompanied uke tune, not as a solo. The reason for this guess is that the theme's second chord ('Gm') is actually a C9, but lacking its fundamental. No problem when there's a bass around, but in solo form it sounded rather odd to me when I first heard it.

Just a heads up, a friend videoed me playing my rendition of something like Crazy G and posted it in his
YouTube channel, Eddie SAMs. You can find it by searching 'uncle Rod crazy g' :)

There's also a 'Shameless' thread about a "rendition of something like Crazy G" started Dec 21st.

I hope you enjoy it and can make sense of the diagrammatic transcription...it's all there :)

Keep uke'in',

Top Bottom