New Build Thread: Beau Hannam Sinker Redwood / Amazon Rosewood 19" Selmer

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
I thought some of you might enjoy seeing a few pics of a uke I'll be picking up at the Ukulele Guild of Hawaii show in November: a Beau Hannam 19" Selmer-style tenor.

I had another Selmer by a different luthier that simply did not work for me, so I was concerned about trying one again. I shared my concerns with Beau, who took it on as a challenge.

After running very scientific calculations on a super computer (LOL), he determined lighter bracing, larger (vs. petite bouche) sound hole and a 19" scale would get that top moving to make sufficient sound. Now, whether or not I can make make music with it is another question altogether. ;-)

Specifications:

Top: Sinker redwood
Body: Amazon rosewood, Selmer-shape
Headstock: Slotted with Brazilian rosewood overlay
Tuners: Rubner tuners
Scale: 19"
Tuning: Linear, likely Bb
Strings: Aquila Carbonblacks
Appointments: Custom rosette, end graft, sunburst finish, black MOP fretmarkers

A few pics:

The man himself, sporting his Luthiers for a Cause tee:

Beau the Ham sprays a mean burst:

I love Beau's rosettes:

Rubner tuners:

Last edited:
That already looks outstanding Eddie. The finished instrument should really be something to see.

Rubner tuners.

I'm looking forward hand delivery this to Eddie in Hawaii Nov 14th :)

Sweet! I look forward to seeing this one next month.

Only one problem: are you sure you want an upside-down picture of Beau with with a mad grin on the back of your instrument? Maybe he can sand it off and reshoot it.

Luv the rosette!

Sweet! I look forward to seeing this one next month.

Only one problem: are you sure you want an upside-down picture of Beau with with a mad grin on the back of your instrument? Maybe he can sand it off and reshoot it.

LOL. Good point!

BTW, congrats on the gorgeous spruce/myrtle Ono you delivered to HMS that sold in about 5 seconds.

BTW, congrats on the gorgeous spruce/myrtle Ono you delivered to HMS that sold in about 5 seconds.

That was sweet, also, and more proof that Corey's sublime playing can sell just about anything. ;)

So that beautiful Uke is yours. Just gorgeous.

My Players model will be ready soon also.
IMG_1498.jpg

Quick update photo. Beau used a pyramid bridge, which Hollis inspired with his gorgeous BH that was just ahead of mine.

Oh My God....
If that doens't produce some uke envy, I don't know what will.

You started, I recognized a beautiful thing and latched on! Hope you don't mind, by the way!

Don't mind at all Eddie. Actually I latched on to the Art Nouveau leaf design for my headstock that Jim Salmon asked Beau to do in his guitar. Jim was very generous as he put a lot of time into design research for that project.

Congratulations, everything about this uke is turning out awesome! I'm sure it will be worth every minute you had to wait for it.

What an incredibly beautiful instrument! :love:

Top Bottom