NUD, LfdM baritone

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I had done a build in progress thread on this LfdM baritone. It is completed and I have been playing it for about a month. I would have done a NUD thread sooner but life got in the way, as did recording equipment issues. So I am sad to say I don't have a recording but just google LfdM baritone and HMS has a few sound samples up. Those guy do these instruments the justice they deserve.

To recap the details this is a large body baritone with a scale length of 22-1/4". It really has the tone of a small 4 string classical guitar, which is what I really like about it.

Bearclaw sitka spruce top
Bocote back and sides
Arm rest
Slotted headstock
Side sound port
Port Orford cedar neck with two bocote strips and a carbon fibre rod
Radiused macassar ebony fret board
Snake wood body binding, armrest, tall graft and fretboard binding
Zero fret
Macassar ebony 12 hole bridge
Snake wood and mother of pearl rosette
Black and white purfing
Mother of pearl side dot markers only

Comes with a custom made Ameritage hard case. Because this uke is so different in size and shape Luis gave Ameritage the dimensions and they build them to fit perfectly. All his baritones are sold with the case, yes it adds to the cost, yes it's worth it.

This instrument has exceeded all my expectations, simple as that. I have been lucky enough to play three other baritones Luis has made and they are all incredile instruments. Simon and Brenda have both played this and thought it was wonderful. Nice thing about both of them is you will get an honest opinion.

It is big and the neck is long so being "just" a uke player the extra size and stretch takes some getting use to. But it plays effortlessly, like my LfdM tenor and the balance is even better. LfdM can be a bit head heavy, just a bit, with the snake head design. This is why we came up with a diferent headstock design and used Port Orford cedar for the neck, mission accomplished. Sound preference is very personal but the only negative about owning this is all my other ukes are pale in comparison.

IMG_3872.jpgIMG_3876.jpgIMG_3863.jpgIMG_3870.jpgIMG_3868.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations my friend, it turned out beautiful! That bearclaw spruce top looks incredible. As does everything else. Enjoy your new flagship!

I sure hope you can bring this along when you come visit me...

What a beauty, congrats! Gorgeous spruce top. I can't imagine what the case weighs since an Ameritage for a tenor uke weighs 9 lbs. Watch your shoulder!! ;-)

22"?!? How can you play that monster? ;)

Looks great, Dave. :cool:

Dave,
Congrats on a fantastic looking instrument!

Congrats brother! :drool: Looks great!

I love the 22" scale on my tenor guitar.

Louis is really at the top of his game as per your and Brenda's latest acquisitions. :)

Best of luck with the new baby. :rock:

Hi, Dave! Congrats on your new bari!

We often attach fore arm instead of upper arm (red circle) to guitar in order to avoid nerve trouble. This arm rest is very good idea for this bari. Your arm is no numb. :)

I am bit surprised that this is still a ukulele, which contacts to your lap with yellow triangle instead of green triangle of guitar. For me, it is ideal size of instrument.

Last edited:
Congrats on a beautiful looking uke Dave. And great photos as well!

@stevejfc.....I think it's a beauty too, thanks Steve.

@Raklele....Rainer this turned out very well and the bearclaw top holds my attention everytime I look at it. As Eddie pointed out the case is a beast, weighs a ton so I don't think I will be travelling with it. But you never know!!!

@Camsuke....Thank you Campbell

@mountain goat...Hey Jon I appreciate the huge congraulations brother

@Eddie Ukulele...I know you like bling Eddie and this has a lot going on. You are so right about the case, gotta watch my shoulder, back and knees picking it up, lol.

@Jim Hanks.....You are right it is a monster, but in a good way.

@Tangimango....Thanks, I am a fan of linear tuning so baris really do it for me as well

Last edited:
@luv2uke....I enjoy looking at it as much as playing. By the way I "luv" your username (see what I did there)

@Booli...I appreciate your comments. Luis is at the top of his game, even after decades he still strives to improve. I do like the longer scale length , like a tenor guitar, as it increases string tension and really drives the top. This is not muddy and dull sounding. It is bright, articulate and powerful. It holds its own with my three steel string tenor guitars, no other uke in my stable can do that.

@zztush....Interesting and astute observations as always. You are correct about the dimensions and size still allowing me to play it in the same holding postion as a uke.

Last edited:
@Kvehe....Hey Kathryn how have you been. I agree with you about it being beautiful and fortunately it sounds as good as it looks.

@Alytw...Adam long time no talk, how was your summer. You will have to come over and play it. I'll throw another party and Brenda can bring her new/used LfdM.

@dkcrown....Thanks for the compliments Dana, the photos did come out good, considering it's just a tablet

Last edited:
Thought I would post a picture comparing the LfdM baritone to other instruments. You can see the Mya Moe baritone body is actually longer at 14" than the LfdM at 13-1/2". But the LfdM is 12" wide and the Mya Moe is 10". These are bracketed by a Blueridge tenor guitar and a Farallon tenor ukulele.

20171007_085224.jpg

Top Bottom