Cool uke

Wow. What a wonderful Uke. It will be interesting to see what it sells for. Paul Summers go for a lot!

Always wanted one like that. Several other models have the same style and trim. Love'em....maybe you can snag it at a good price.

I believe they were made by the Aloha Ukulele Manufacturing Company. Akai was the primary builder.

Yes, drying causes cracks. The wood shrinks. If the glue around the rim holds, the top will crack. Heat draws the moisture out of the air. This is why people typically humidify their ukuleles in the winter, when the heaters are running. I don't think it is much of a concern for you in Tampa, Nickie, but I'm in Maine and about to get my humidifiers out for the season.

Moana was most likely the name of one of the hotels where Paul Summers sold "his" ukes.
The headstock looks like it was made in the style of early Manuel or Leonardo Nunes and that makes me doubtful
that Akai made this - maybe an ex Nunes employee? Who knows?

Last edited:
Moana was most likely the name of one of the hotels where Paul Summers sold "his" ukes.
The headstock looks like it was made in the style of early Manuel or Leonardo Nunes and that makes me doubtful
that Akai made this - maybe an ex Nunes employee? Who knows?

Not all of the Akai ukuleles had the headdress headstock. Check this one out:

http://www.legendaryukuleles.com/akai-1920-s.html

And it is true that Summers sold these through both the Moana and the Royal Hawaiian Hotels.

Not all of the Akai ukuleles had the headdress headstock. Check this one out:

http://www.legendaryukuleles.com/akai-1920-s.html

And it is true that Summers sold these through both the Moana and the Royal Hawaiian Hotels.

Very nice Akai! Thank you for sharing.

I loaded up picture of my Akai with similar inlay in my photo album. My apologies that I didn't manage to share it on here directly.

If you compare the inlay work, the Akai seems on a different level to the Moana. Also the bridges used on the Akai' look like a different design.

Last edited:
Top Bottom