Williams Ukulele - What can you tell me?

Reaction score
My wife took pity on my ukulele woes, so to tide me over until Mike sends me my Kala acacia Tenor uke. She bought this soprano uke from an antique dealer. All I know is it's a Williams Soprano Ukulele from Williams Ukulele and Guitars of Los Angeles, circa 1950's.

Does anybody know it's history? What kind of wood it's made of? Maybe a value? Anything.

Be good,
Jon

Attachments

• Williams Ukulele-10.jpg
    Williams Ukulele-10.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Williams Ukulele-2-2.jpg
    Williams Ukulele-2-2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Williams Ukulele-4-2.jpg
    Williams Ukulele-4-2.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Williams Ukulele-5-2.jpg
    Williams Ukulele-5-2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Williams Ukulele-6-2.jpg
    Williams Ukulele-6-2.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
I've only ever seen one of these advertised, not in person, and it has the same unusual red saddle and bridge. Looks to be mahogany and nicely made, the fret marker dots on the side and the fingerboard look like mother of pearl which would indicate a higher quality model. I like the "shark's tooth" style pegs better than the standard round ones myself. It looks like it is in really nice shape. I would put some good quality flourocarbon strings on it (my preferences only) and tune it up. It should sound sweet. The action looks a little high but I wouldn't worry about it for now. It should be a lovely complement to your tenor. It's nice to have something in mahogany.

As for the Williams company I have not been able to find any info on them either.

Have fun! :)

Funny -

A Williams banjo uke just came up for sale on eBay; only the second one I've ever seen from Williams. All I know is what I've found on the internet in the last two days - They were a store brand for a single store, Williams Music, inc. Looking at the three ukes I've seen, they look like Japanese imports to me, but the distinctive scarlet saddle and nut are unique to them only. The banjo ukes both have lucite pots and resonator backs, but use standard banjo hardware and they really could have been made right there in the back of the store for little to no money.

It looks to be an extremely rare, and extremely not sought after, brand. :)

Hey there,
How did the Williams uke work out for you?
I just saw one for sale and was curious.
Thanks!

Top Bottom