String change anxiety

wildfire070

Reaction score
I was changing out some strings on a few ukes and had a couple of strings snap on me as I was tuning them up to pitch. Now every time I change out a set and tune up, I dread it because I'm afraid of the string snapping again or worse, damaging the uke. I've used the Aquila red sets before and this was the first time I've had any snap on me. I know several people have said the reds snapped on them too so I'm sure it was string related. I'm using different sets now but I still have that anxiety whenever I tune up and hear that creak of the string stretching.

Anybody else have this problem? Should I tune up slower...let it sit for a few mins and then tune up all the way? Or just get over it and tune the thing up like normal?

You may have a sharp edge on the nut that causes the snap. Just a stroke or two on the edge with a thin fingernail file may help. Or, use graphite; lead pencil, on the slots to help them slide as you tune up the string.

Aquila reds have a nasty history of snapping. Don’t let that stop you from changing strings. New strings are the best $5 you can spend on a uke.

@OP - just dont fret it - go slow and all will be well :)

When I change mine, I do one string at a time, bring it up to tune, do the next, then when I do the third string, I retune the previous ones again, do the fourth, & retune, leave it a few hours, retune all the strings, & so on.

(The first string I start on is actually the fourth string on the uke, the G, & work my way down to the A.)

I do something similar on the guitar but a little less structured. Initially I just tighten them up so they make some kind of a plausible note, and then I'll start rotating through the strings getting them closer, then when they're maybe a note away I'll go do something else but just leave the guitar out and throughout the day I'll keep retuning it until it's stabilized out.

What Pat said.......on REDs and carbon blacks. It's almost always a sharpe edge on nut, tuners hole, saddle. I like both string but have experienced same thing. If you look close you will find what is causing you problem. File or Sand paper should be able to clean thing up. Best way to cure squmishness on changing string is to change strings more often and try different strings. You will find what you like and get better at changing in the process.
My .02 cents worth

The only time I've had a string break was on a set that had been on some time and which I tuned up and down between GCEA and ADF#B and I tuned them up to ADF#B once too often and the A string broke.

That said I always have an anxious few moments when I'm tuning up new strings for the first time. I have just once fitted a red and that was OK.

I'd just add one thing to the comments about sharp edges and that is to check that's where they are actually breaking. If they break somewhere in the middle then it won't be sharp edges at the nut or on the bridge assembly. In which case you've maybe been unlucky and the main thing is to tune up carefully at first.

All my main players have either UPTs, Pegheds, or friction tuners. I have learned that I really have to be careful restringing the ones with friction pegs. Because of the 1:1 ratio you get up to pitch very quickly! I have almost snapped a few without realizing how far above pitch I was!

Thanks for the suggestions. I've never had any issues with string changes until just recently. It's mainly been the 1st string that breaks. The uke has a string-through bridge and I've noticed the strings snapping from the underside of the bridge, inside the body, right at the knot.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've never had any issues with string changes until just recently. It's mainly been the 1st string that breaks. The uke has a string-through bridge and I've noticed the strings snapping from the underside of the bridge, inside the body, right at the knot.

Ah, my kind of uke (although I'm pondering that). Two things: Look very carefully at the string-through holes. They were probably drilled straight down at 90 degrees. Get a tiny rat-tail file or the like (even a small, dull knife) and round over the edge of the hole on the peg head side. Don't make the hole bigger, just slightly round over the edge. That's probably not where the problem is, but it's easy.

Next, hunt around the house and find yourself some thick sheet vinyl, firm rubber, soft plastic, whatever you've got. Cut a little square and poke a hole through it. You just made a washer. Now, after you've threaded the string through the top of the uke and pulled it out of the sound hole, thread on the little washer you've just made and tie your knot. When you pull the string back up the washer will sandwich between the top of the uke and the knot, cushioning it and protecting it from sharp edges.

I use small glass beads I got at a craft store on my string-through bridges. I tie a figure-eight knot after the bead and the bead sits against the underside of the bridge.
Also be sure to use some needle-nose pliers to set that knot tight and then trim off the excess tail of the knot so that it does not create a buzz on the underside of the soundboard.

I also tune to some type of tension, strum a lot, let sit for a few mins, then tune up a bit more, strum some more, I go on like that for a couple of hours while watching TV.
Only after doing that for some time will I ramp it up to the correct pitch /tension.

I've changed strings dozens of times on tie bridges, pin bridges and slotted bridges, never had any snap except for a set of Reds...

As a musician (a guitarist) I totally understand what you are going through. But my situation was way worse. My guitar somehow fell out of my case while I was walking on the street. Needless to say, my guitar hit the pavement and got broken. Since then every time I go out with my guitar, I have this anxiety that I might drop it again… I have been trying some grounding techniques to calm down. fherehab.com There are many of them, you can see for yourself which one suits you the most and do them every day

Last edited:
This thread hold up well over time. All info is still as true today as ever. First, I always suggest new player change strings as often as need be to get comfy with process and get good at it. Second , for Red Aquila, I think they are on third formula and they work good but……pre stretch as shown on videos and check for stress/ cut points. As pointed out, check nut, saddle and sharpe edges on holes on tuner. Get a magnifying glass if need be. Finally, try different string for different Uke. Cheapest $5-10 you can spend to effect tone is a positive way out there. I recently went back to try Aquila after being away a long time in fluro land. I like New Nylgut and Supers a lot on my TT solid top and Fluke. I will try Sugars and get more red. I’m also back experimenting with Nylon strings on certain ukes. Our preference change and as we get more experienced so do our tastes. There is no best or perfect string, just nice colours and flavours of sound. Same applies to ukes…… they are all good in their own way.

I was changing out some strings on a few ukes and had a couple of strings snap on me as I was tuning them up to pitch. Now every time I change out a set and tune up, I dread it because I'm afraid of the string snapping again or worse, damaging the uke. I've used the Aquila red sets before and this was the first time I've had any snap on me. I know several people have said the reds snapped on them too so I'm sure it was string related. I'm using different sets now but I still have that anxiety whenever I tune up and hear that creak of the string stretching.

Anybody else have this problem? Should I tune up slower...let it sit for a few mins and then tune up all the way? Or just get over it and tune the thing up like normal?
Snapping is annoying, but it happens. As someone said, look for sharp edges. Tighten the strings gradually - over a period of hours.

New replies to a really Old Post. : - )

That happened to me too, Wildfire, and it turned out that the "bead" onto which the string was tied actually had a sharp edge on it that was cutting into the string. Probably not a common occurrence, but I felt lucky to discover it quickly and get a different bead for that string!

Top Bottom