PDA

View Full Version : Concert strings on a tenor?

pix.fairydust
10-07-2017, 09:42 PM
I recently bought some new strings but instead of tenor clicked on concert. Do I need to buy another set, or can I use these on the tenor?

Thanks,

Booli
10-07-2017, 09:48 PM
I recently bought some new strings but instead of tenor clicked on concert. Do I need to buy another set, or can I use these on the tenor?

Thanks,

You can use them fine. The tone will be a little brighter, and you will get MORE sustain on account of having a hair less tension from a thinner gauge of strings. The only disadvantage is that you will have a hair less volume with the thinner gauge of strings.

I have done this LOTS of times to get a brighter tone or less tension from a specific uke. I've never had a uke damaged by using thinner strings. Scale length is a reference point and is not carved in stone, and many string makers, like Worth (15 different gauges in each clear and browns) and Oasis (2 different gauges each in hi-G and low-G) sell one length of strings, that needs to be cut in half, or to size for whatever uke you put them on.

Croaky Keith
10-08-2017, 01:04 AM
All my tenor scale ukes have fluorocarbon concert strings on them, I prefer the feel of less tension that they give. :)

(Except my actual tenor, that has classical guitar strings on it. ;) )

Doc_J
10-08-2017, 02:47 AM
Oasis has sets that are good for sopranos concerts or tenors. As long as your strings are long enough it shouldn’t be a problem.

pix.fairydust
10-08-2017, 02:56 AM
Thanks everyone:)

Booli
10-08-2017, 03:05 AM
FYI: I've observed the following after testing over 100 discrete sets of strings:

Thinner strings = more sustain = less tension = less volume = brighter tone
Thicker strings = less sustain = more tension = more volume = warmer tone