PDA

View Full Version : The Good Ol’ Baritones

Down Up Dick
10-08-2017, 04:46 AM
I’ll bet we see a rise in UU Baritone ukulele sales pretty soon.

But maybe the ones tuned to GCEA will be keepers—I dunno . . . :old:

King David
10-08-2017, 05:28 AM
Funny, cause' I couldn't sell a mint cedar topped Kala baritone with Mi-Si pickup for $325 on the UU marketplace to save my life... just sayin'.

Personally not a fan in the end, for the same reasons I'm not into playing acoustic guitars.

Ukecaster
10-08-2017, 05:37 AM

No bari experience here, but from your post, it seems that some folks tune them GCEA, like a smaller uke. Is that to avoid needing to learn new chord shapes, you like the sound better, both, or some other reasons? Thx in advance.

Down Up Dick
10-08-2017, 06:08 AM
No bari experience here, but from your post, it seems that some folks tune them GCEA, like a smaller uke. Is that to avoid needing to learn new chord shapes, you like the sound better, both, or some other reasons? Thx in advance.

Yeah, I think people buy baritones and then find the DGBE tuning confusing. And I think they sound more like a guitar than a ukulele, though I prefer the DGBD sound.

I find it amazing that all these different ukuleles started with the little soprano. Just like Tansy “they just growed.” :old:

Tootler
10-08-2017, 06:27 AM
I'm quite happy with DGBE tuning. In fact it gives alternative shapes for chords which is useful. I already had tenors tuned dGBE when I got my baritone.

I like the lower pitch and the linear tuning for finger picking accompaniment.

Down Up Dick
10-08-2017, 06:38 AM
I'm quite happy with DGBE tuning. In fact it gives alternative shapes for chords which is useful. I already had tenors tuned dGBE when I got my baritone.

I like the lower pitch and the linear tuning for finger picking accompaniment.

Yeah, I couldn’t agree more. I’m using mine to learn finger style and, later, slide. :old:

bratsche
10-08-2017, 06:51 AM
Funny, cause' I couldn't sell a mint cedar topped Kala baritone with Mi-Si pickup for $325 on the UU marketplace to save my life... just sayin'.

Nice looking instrument, but the pickup would be useless to me, and makes the price higher than a new one. However, if it were the 8 string version, I just mighta been tempted. ;)

bratsche

JackLuis
10-08-2017, 06:53 AM
I like dGBE so my Bari sounds like a Uke. Some day when I learn to pick notes it'll be more fun, but strumming it's nicer Hi d.

Me dos centavos.

Tootler
10-08-2017, 10:50 AM
I agree that strumming sounds better with reentrant tuning. I have a tenor tuned dGBE with a high D.

Croaky Keith
10-08-2017, 11:34 PM
Love the sound of a bari, just have problems with the stretch, have one of both now, re-entrant dGBE spruce top, & linear DGBE cedar top.

Probably just need to spend more time with them, but I seem to have gone back to favouring the concert scale again just lately. :)

Osprey
10-09-2017, 01:56 AM
I am enjoying my DGBE tuned Baritone. It suits the range of my voice better and it gives a different voicing to the group I play with. I also took one of my tenors and have it tuned dGBE and I am starting to enjoy that as well. I keep one tenor in standard tuning and continue to appreciate that sound as well. Hey, that’s why we have the need for a roomful of Ukuleles.

snakehips81
10-09-2017, 02:28 AM
Hi there !

My son loves his Kala baritone uke.
He got it last Christmas, when he was 8.5yrs old, after almost a year of weekly lessons on first a cheap soprano, then one of my nicer Concert ukes, then a cheaper Peavey concert uke (that had a fairly longer scale length).
After a few visits to guitar shops (gotta start them early !) he decided he really like the baritones.
After the wound strings the baritone came with deteriorated fairly quickly - coming apart over the frets, I decided to get a more expensive string set.

I was interested in the Aquila Red strings - so got the Baritone set.
I read all the reviews on these strings, where lots of reviews said they break far too easily - often when putting them on for the first time.
Well, I still wanted to try them - so was really careful to install them properly - and no breakages.
In fact, those red unwound strings are still on his Baritone.
The WOUND strings from that set unfortunately, suffered the same fate as the original string set - deteriorating over the first couple of frets - in a matter of a week or two.

I decided to try the Martin set - and they are cheaper too.
I put on just the wound strings, as the Aquila Red unwound 1st & 2nd strings were OK.

Those Martin wound baritone strings (M630) are EXCELLENT - they have lasted 6months.
I haven't yet tried the unwound Martin strings - but will do so soon.

As mentioned already, the fact the baritone is tuned DGBE has caused confusion for my son and his ukulele teacher.
I haven't found much baritone uke music online and the teacher has so far not taught him the new chord names for the same shapes.
My son sings the songs while he plays - and consequently, he is trying to sing in keys that no longer suit his voice.
The tutor AND myself kind of thought he wasn't quite ready for the mind-blowing reality that the chord shapes he now knows quite well don't give the intended key of song and will have to relearn the chord names.. I think he is just a bit too young for that - but he will get it eventually.
Alternatively, he will have to learn new chords shapes for the songs he knows and loves to sing along to.

In the meantime, he doesn't care, he is enjoying playing and singing anyway !

DownUpDave
10-09-2017, 02:51 AM

Interesting comments Dick. If I am reading this right you feel people buy a baritone realize how different it is then end up selling it, is that correct?

My first baritone was an inexpense used Gianinni, it sat mostly unplayed for the first year because it was different and more difficult to play, longer stretchs. As I progressed and improved I played the baritone more and more to the point I enjoy it as much of more then my linear tuned tenors. I love a deep resonant guitar like sound. I can see someone coming from reentrant sopranos being taken back by the huge differences.

Down Up Dick
10-09-2017, 03:41 AM
Interesting comments Dick. If I am reading this right you feel people buy a baritone realize how different it is then end up selling it, is that correct?

My first baritone was an inexpense used Gianinni, it sat mostly unplayed for the first year because it was different and more difficult to play, longer stretchs. As I progressed and improved I played the baritone more and more to the point I enjoy it as much of more then my linear tuned tenors. I love a deep resonant guitar like sound. I can see someone coming from reentrant sopranos being taken back by the huge differences.

Yeah, Bro, that’s what I meant. Baritones seem to be a new fad on the UU, but the different tuning leads players to retune to GCEA, and then it’s not a baritone any more. The baritone is specifically a low pitched uke tuned DGBE. I realize that folks don’t care about stuff like that, but I just wonder how happy they are with just a bigger GCEA ukulele.

I really like the baritone “as is” a lot. I’ve even been thinking about a tenor guitar. What happened with yours? :old:

Croaky Keith
10-09-2017, 04:55 AM
..........As mentioned already, the fact the baritone is tuned DGBE has caused confusion for my son and his ukulele teacher.
I haven't found much baritone uke music online and the teacher has so far not taught him the new chord names for the same shapes.

Put a capo on the 5th fret, then he'll be in the right key.

Check out Humble Baritonics - http://humblebaritonics.blogspot.co.uk/

Croaky Keith
10-09-2017, 04:58 AM
Seems to be a spate of baritone related threads showing up just lately, & it's making me feel guilty for leaving mine alone so long, will have to give them an airing. :)

DownUpDave
10-09-2017, 05:09 AM
Yeah, Bro, that’s what I meant. Baritones seem to be a new fad on the UU, but the different tuning leads players to retune to GCEA, and then it’s not a baritone any more. The baritone is specifically a low pitched uke tuned DGBE. I realize that folks don’t care about stuff like that, but I just wonder how happy they are with just a bigger GCEA ukulele.

I really like the baritone “as is” a lot. I’ve even been thinking about a tenor guitar. What happened with yours? :old:

I still really love my tenor guitars and I play them almost as much as my baritone or tenor ukuleles. Because I like the deeper tone of linear strung ukes the tenor guitar really puts a smile on my face. I have a Blueridge BR40 TCE, Pono UL4-20 and my favorite Regal resonator made in the 1930s, all tuned DGBE.

bariukish
10-09-2017, 05:13 AM
I agree that strumming sounds better with reentrant tuning. I have a tenor tuned dGBE with a high D.

Our bari's are tuned linear DGBE with the 3rd and 4th wound. I've never considered trying a reentrant 4th string, What string would you recommend for an unwound 4th?

Down Up Dick
10-09-2017, 05:27 AM
Yeah, DUD1, that Blueridge is what I was lookin at. You like it, huh? :old:

Nickie
10-09-2017, 05:58 AM
Baritones tuned to DGBE annoy me when strummed. I love it when clawhammer is played on them though. I'd rather play a guitelele, because DGBE just sounds too thin, like something is gravely missing. I think dGBE sounds a lot better. GCEA is even nicer to listen to.
Thanks for tolerating my opinion.

Braddtastic
10-09-2017, 06:18 AM
The tonewood is a huge factor in determining whether a baritone ukulele sounds like a guitar. I chose a Kala solid acacia over their cedar top model because it gave me that ukulele tropical island sound. I already play guitar and have a few, so I certainly don't need a four string version.

I tried GCEA tuning on my cheapo Rogue bari but really didn't like it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-vZzl21haM). The big body with the high pitched voice left me feeling like I had the Mike Tyson of ukuleles (no disrespect, Iron Mike!). I would love to have the octive-lower GCEA, but I see from posts on this forum that the sound quality is muddy.

There are plenty of songs that are much more fun to play on one or the other, but overall I prefer the size, lower tones, and rich deepness of a good baritone over a good tenor. The DGBE tuning also gives me expanded options... if a song is out of my limited vocal range, I can just switch to GCEA fingerings and -- *BOOM* -- I have instant transposition! :-)

JackLuis
10-09-2017, 10:31 AM
For a unwound 4th try a set of Worth Brown FAT Tenor hi g strings on you baritone. They are the same as the Brown Baritones but with a thinner D/G string. Or a set of D'Addario EG99 Tenor strings, for dGBE. on my 20 inch bari they sound really nice, no intonation probs at all.

DownUpDave
10-09-2017, 10:37 AM
Yeah, DUD1, that Blueridge is what I was lookin at. You like it, huh? :old:

It is a fantastic instrument. I had a very good guitar player play it, he owns many expensive guitars, he said it was excellent. If I was left with only the Blueridge to play I would be happy happy. Highly recommend the Blueridge.

mds725
10-09-2017, 01:29 PM

Just for clarification -- it's not exactly "different tuning." Baritones are just tuned to a different key. GCEA instruments are considered to be tuned in C; baritones are tuned in G. The chord shapes are the same except they have different names. For example, the same chord shape that is a C chord on a GCEA instrument is a G chord on a DGBE instrument, an F chord shape on a GCEA instrument produces a C chord on a DGBE instrument, etc. "Different tuning" suggests a different relationship among the strings, as in saying an instrument is "tuned in fifths," or "tuned in fourths." Playing a baritone does not require learning new SHAPES, as playing a mandolin would. It requires learning new NAMES for shapes you already know.

Down Up Dick
10-09-2017, 02:38 PM
Just for clarification -- it's not exactly "different tuning." Baritones are just tuned to a different key. GCEA instruments are considered to be tuned in C; baritones are tuned in G. The chord shapes are the same except they have different names. For example, the same chord shape that is a C chord on a GCEA instrument is a G chord on a DGBE instrument, an F chord shape on a GCEA instrument produces a C chord on a DGBE instrument, etc. "Different tuning" suggests a different relationship among the strings, as in saying an instrument is "tuned in fifths," or "tuned in fourths." Playing a baritone does not require learning new SHAPES, as playing a mandolin would. It requires learning new NAMES for shapes you already know.

Of course you’re correct, and we both understand what you said. However many new baritone ukists seem to be confused by the difference and prefer to retune their baritones to GCEA rather than adjust to the differences.

I just supposed that they will retune or sell their baritones, but I guess there’s absolutely nothing wrong with an extra large uke.
:old:

Tootler
10-10-2017, 03:23 AM
Our bari's are tuned linear DGBE with the 3rd and 4th wound. I've never considered trying a reentrant 4th string, What string would you recommend for an unwound 4th?

I use Worth clear Fats (CF) on my dGBE tenor. I'm not a fan of wound strings and generally use all fluorocarbons. My baritone is strung with a Living Water linear baritone set. Worth Fats or a Living Water reentrant set would probably both be fine and you could replace the G with a wound if you prefer. It's all a matter of personal taste.

DownUpDave
10-10-2017, 03:54 AM

As an experiment you can swap out the linear wound D string with a florocarbon of approx. .0260" diameter. I have used the E string from Oasis GPX or Worth CT with good results.

bariukish
10-10-2017, 05:00 AM
As an experiment you can swap out the linear wound D string with a florocarbon of approx. .0260" diameter. I have used the E string from Oasis GPX or Worth CT with good results.

Great idea, Dave. I've got a drawer full of partial string sets. Time to get out the trusty old micrometer and get busy.

Down Up Dick
10-10-2017, 05:08 AM
Micrometer? Wow! You string guys are really into this strang thang. No cat gut for you. :old:

bratsche
10-10-2017, 05:25 AM
Note to fellow feline lovers: "Cat gut" is really most often from sheep. Never to my knowledge is it actually from cats.

bratsche

Down Up Dick
10-10-2017, 05:34 AM
I like the sound of “cat gut” better — sounds more manly. Sheep gut? = nasty. Baaa! :old:

Tootler
10-10-2017, 05:40 AM
Note to fellow feline lovers: "Cat gut" is really most often from sheep. Never to my knowledge is it actually from cats.

bratsche

Better not be. Our cats would not be best pleased. :mad:

JackLuis
10-10-2017, 03:48 PM
When I bought my baritone I thought about changing it to GCEA, but just played it 'out of key' DGBE for a while. About three weeks in, the D sting broke and I switched to Worth Browns DGBE. Then substituted the D with a Tenor FAT string (0.316") for dGBE. Never had a problem with string breakage.

While wearing out the Aquilas I realized that chord shapes were just shapes and I just learned to shift between "C" and "G" mode in my mind. After about 18 months of Baritone and Bari-Tenor paying I can shift pretty easily. For a while I had one of my tenors tuned eAC#F# and never even worried about the names of the chords, but shifted back to dGBE a couple of weeks ago so I could play that tenor with my Uke Buddy next door. He plays DGBE and it was too weird trying to figure out the shapes for "A" tuning.

About a week ago I decided to get serious about learning to read music and the neck above/below the fourth fret. I've been using my concert to learn to pick the Sailor Hornpipe which is played in the 5-10 frets from D to b3 (?). I may get to be a musician yet.

Down Up Dick
10-10-2017, 04:52 PM
I’m always glad to see when folks keep the lower tuning and learn how to play it. It makes sense to me. :old:

Tootler
10-10-2017, 10:03 PM
I've been playing recorder a lot longer than I've been playing ukulele and was already used to the idea that the same arrangement of fingers played different notes in differently pitched instruments. When it came to ukulele in different tunings I just worked on the same principle. Same shapes, different chords. Obviously, if you change the pitch relationship between the strings then you have to learn completely new chord shapes.

Croaky Keith
10-10-2017, 10:17 PM
Maybe I'm a bit weird, but I kind of think of my baritones just as bass ukes, I know there are proper 'bass ukes' now, but before them it must surely have had that role in an ensemble(?).

Any way, I like being different. :p

strat4me
10-11-2017, 02:50 AM
I like dGBE so my Bari sounds like a Uke. Some day when I learn to pick notes it'll be more fun, but strumming it's nicer Hi d.

Me dos centavos.

What strings are you using for dGBE?

JackLuis
10-11-2017, 05:44 AM
What strings are you using for dGBE?

I just use standard Tenor Hi-g Strings, D'Addario Carbons or Fremont Blacklines. I tried a bunch of the 'special' Bari-Tenor strings but EJ-99's are better. Although the Fremont Bari-Tenor black lines were pretty good. I have a set in reserve that I removed in my testing. For a DGBE, Bari-tenor Blacklines and a Fremont soloist work well too. I put a set on my neighbors tenor and he liked them. I reviewed a bunch of strings a few months ago in the Review forum on several different ukes.

Here http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?124671-dGBE-DGBE-for-a-Tenor-Eight-options I did a couple of others too but this one has it all in one place.

Down Up Dick
10-11-2017, 05:59 AM
I use Aquilas on all my ukes. I don’t play well enough for fancy-schmancy—yet! :old:

Croaky Keith
10-11-2017, 06:07 AM
I bought some guitar strings to try out on one of mine, but they never saw my baritone, they went onto my laminate tenor, sounded pretty good too.
I used the EADG strings for GCEA originally, but today I swapped it over to using the DGBE as DGBE on the tenor.

Also put some on my laminate long neck soprano, just to see if they would work, & they seem to give it a boost in sound.
Has anyone else tried DGBE on a soprano long neck, or for that matter, a concert uke?

13down
10-25-2017, 06:19 AM

Me dos centavos.

Picking notes is nicer in high d as well for me and I wouldn't be surprised if you come to that conclusion too.

DownUpDave
10-25-2017, 06:29 AM
Picking notes is nicer in high d as well for me and I wouldn't be surprised if you come to that conclusion too.

I believe it all comes down to personal preference, like size, wood types and string material. I like my baritones strung linear DGBE because I love the rich deep guitar like tone. Some like vanilla, some like chocolate and others strawberry

bratsche
10-25-2017, 06:54 AM
I guess with my "ultra low G" octave mandolin tuning, that means I like dark chocolate baritone.... ;)

bratsche

Osprey
10-25-2017, 07:57 AM
I believe it all comes down to personal preference, like size, wood types and string material. I like my baritones strung linear DGBE because I love the rich deep guitar like tone. Some like vanilla, some like chocolate and others strawberry

I now have two Baritones both tuned linear DGBE and love the sound. I did take one of my Tenors and tune it with a high D. I used the GHS Bari-Tenor strings that Sarah Maisel and Craig Chee promote. I like that sound as well and use it from time to time. It’s especially nice on some Bluegrass songs.

mds725
10-25-2017, 08:51 AM
I still really love my tenor guitars and I play them almost as much as my baritone or tenor ukuleles. Because I like the deeper tone of linear strung ukes the tenor guitar really puts a smile on my face. I have a Blueridge BR40 TCE, Pono UL4-20 and my favorite Regal resonator made in the 1930s, all tuned DGBE.

I have fallen in love with tenor guitars. My first was a Blueridge, and I have since gotten (i) a Compass Rose steel string baritone (please don't tell Rick Turner that I think of it as a smaller scale tenor guitar); (ii) a Beau Hannam custom tenor guitar; (iii) a John Kinnard tenor guitar; and (iv) a Pono 8-string tenor guitar. I play and love them all. I really like the deeper voice of DGBE tuning and I enjoy the sound of steel strings. I still love and play my GCEA tenor ukuleles; I just find that I prefer different sounds on different days and/or for different types of music.

This is the Pono 8-string tenor guitar that I got (Mahalo nui loa, Andrew!). Check out the video. Without the two courses of bass strings (E and A) that an 8-string steel string guitar has, this instrument has something of a mandolin-ish sound to it.

https://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-mn-20-spruce-mahogany-nui-8-string-tenor-guitar-package.html

DownUpDave
10-25-2017, 11:36 AM
I have fallen in love with tenor guitars. My first was a Blueridge, and I have since gotten (i) a Compass Rose steel string baritone (please don't tell Rick Turner that I think of it as a smaller scale tenor guitar); (ii) a Beau Hannam custom tenor guitar; (iii) a John Kinnard tenor guitar; and (iv) a Pono 8-string tenor guitar. I play and love them all. I really like the deeper voice of DGBE tuning and I enjoy the sound of steel strings. I still love and play my GCEA tenor ukuleles; I just find that I prefer different sounds on different days and/or for different types of music.

This is the Pono 8-string tenor guitar that I got (Mahalo nui loa, Andrew!). Check out the video. Without the two courses of bass strings (E and A) that an 8-string steel string guitar has, this instrument has something of a mandolin-ish sound to it.

https://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-mn-20-spruce-mahogany-nui-8-string-tenor-guitar-package.html

Hey Mark, that is an awesome sounding instrument. All I could think about as Kalei played it was the opening riff from Pink Floyd "Hey You". I love the sound but the double courses of steel strings kinda scared me off. How difficult is it to play compared to a 4 string tenor guitar. I am not a guitar player so the bigger tenor guitars are a bit of a stretch for me.

JackLuis
10-25-2017, 11:57 AM
I now have two Baritones both tuned linear DGBE and love the sound. I did take one of my Tenors and tune it with a high D. I used the GHS Bari-Tenor strings that Sarah Maisel and Craig Chee promote. I like that sound as well and use it from time to time. It’s especially nice on some Bluegrass songs.

If you like the GHS strings try the Fremont Bari-Tenor Black lines, they are much nicer and easier on the fingers too.

mds725
10-26-2017, 11:04 AM
Hey Mark, that is an awesome sounding instrument. All I could think about as Kalei played it was the opening riff from Pink Floyd "Hey You". I love the sound but the double courses of steel strings kinda scared me off. How difficult is it to play compared to a 4 string tenor guitar. I am not a guitar player so the bigger tenor guitars are a bit of a stretch for me.

Hey, Dave. I've had previous experience with 8 strings, as I have an 8-string tenor ukulele, so the strings didn't put me off, and the scale is, I think, a bit smaller than the scale of my Blueridge. It takes a little getting used to both the longer (than baritone) scale and the eight strings at the same time, and if I havn't played it for a while and then pick it up, I notice that the scale is bigger than a baritone's and that eight strings requires more precise fretting than four because there's less space between the courses of strings. But I adjust, and it is pretty easy to play otherwise.

Scooter1552
10-30-2017, 06:33 AM
I am fortunate to own a vintage Martin B51 and have come to appreciate its warm tone and easy playability. It’s strung with Aquila Reds in DGBE and I did have some difficulty at first switching from my tenors or concert ukes but the more I play it the more I love it. Variety is a good thing and keeps me interested in learning. A capo makes this a very versatile instrument ( think tenor with a really large sound chamber!).

hoosierhills
10-30-2017, 07:44 AM

Wanted a baritone just to have one. Started with a lanikai curly mango ( all laminate ) that came set up with linear c tuning aquillas. The sound was ok but didn`t differ much from my tenors and the stretch was more difficult. I then acquired a cordoba 24b with wound 3rd and 4th that was very guitar like. I changed the wound set for worth browns and am very happy with the sound while strumming but still very much a guitar tone. I put a set of living water reentrant g tuning on the lanikai and it came alive with very much of the uke sound. From this experience I would say each instrument has unique characteristics waiting to be discoverd and isn`t that part of the fun of UAS.

plunker
10-31-2017, 01:47 AM

Mine is tuned standard. I just play it it like my low G tenor. Yes it is a 5th off, but I play by myself and it works.

plunker
10-31-2017, 01:50 AM

My Baritone has the standard baritone tuning. It is 5th off from my low g tenor. I don't play with others so I just play it using the tenor fingering.

Tootler
11-01-2017, 08:55 AM
My Baritone has the standard baritone tuning. It is 5th off from my low g tenor. I don't play with others so I just play it using the tenor fingering.

It takes nothing more than some time and effort to learn the different names for familiar chord fingerings. I had to deal with that some years ago as a recorder player as you have to deal with basically the same thing with C and F recorders.

If you ever end up playing with others, you will need to adapt