Pain playing new tenor

pix.fairydust

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced this? I've been playing tenor size a lot lately since getting a wonderful Pete Howlett spruce/walnut but I've been getting pain in my fretting hand (possibly from the extra stretching?)

Will this go away? Has anyone else experienced anything similar? I'm worried that if this gets any worse we may have to part ways :( Any recommendations?

I was so excited to get this and it's an absolute beauty and feel bummed now.

I injured my too-small fretting hand a few years back trying to play stretches a too-big tenor - I addressed this a bit in a recent post here. I had to take a bit of a uke break while it healed and afterward, I didn't want to risk it so I just accepted the fact that I'm not a tenor player... as much as I wish I could be!

Just read your posts! :-/ the pain stopped me playing and I've put some topical ointment on for the pain. This doesn't bode well then does it?! I may have to sell...

In addition to the extra space, could it be the extra tension required to fret on a Tenor too? You have to have more tension on a tenor to get it up to standard GCEA tuning. If that's the case try tuning down to Bb; I liked that sound better personally.

You might just be playing more than normal, especially if you haven’t played that scale regularly. The neck thickness may also be different than you are used to.

I had a similar situation when I started playing guitar again a few months ago. It’s fine now.

Adam

I take it you are referring to pain in the joint ?
If the neck profile is too thin it can cause pain on the wrist. Two years ago I had to give up a beautiful high end uke because the neck was too thin causing me wrist pain !
I usually take pain killer or ice pack if it gets too uncomfortable
I do play a lot of hours if I have a song I want to work on !
Just don’t over stretch your fingers to the point you are in pain and force to give up.
One more suggestion. Try changing strings. May be what you have are high tension strings.

Last edited:
Has anyone else experienced this? I've been playing tenor size a lot lately since getting a wonderful Pete Howlett spruce/walnut but I've been getting pain in my fretting hand (possibly from the extra stretching?)

Will this go away? Has anyone else experienced anything similar? I'm worried that if this gets any worse we may have to part ways :( Any recommendations?

I was so excited to get this and it's an absolute beauty and feel bummed now.

Where have you got your pain exactly? A friend of mine had a pain on the back of his fretting hand, he's got tendonitis. He has changed play style and now he is ok.

Last edited:
A while back I developed pain and numbness in my left hand at the piano keyboard. Turns out my form had become sloppy over the years and I had been twisting my wrist unnecessarily when reaching for octaves. I had to retrain myself not to do that.

Pay attention to what triggers your pain. Find the specific motions and positions that irritate your hand and find more efficient, less damaging ways of doing them. You might even want to consider meeting with an experienced instructor who can analyze your form and show you how to fix things to avoid repetitive strain injury.

Good luck! I hope you figure it out and get to fully enjoy your new instrument!

In addition to the extra space, could it be the extra tension required to fret on a Tenor too? You have to have more tension on a tenor to get it up to standard GCEA tuning. If that's the case try tuning down to Bb; I liked that sound better personally.

This was my first thought as well. I am more of a concert player because I always felt the tension of a tenor was too high, but I loved the sound, so I would continue to keep trying despite the pain. Once someone mentioned tuning it down to Bb much of the pain went away (and add a benefit, it sounded even better!) Best of all is that it is an easy adjustment to make.

You say that you have been playing tenor a lot lately, so this scale is new to you?

If so, you are not letting your hand adjust to the stretch necessary, I tried tenor scale when I started, but it was too much of a stretch, so I learned to play on concert scale for the first 6 months, my hands loosened up to the point where I can play tenor just as easily, (I can also play bari, but it again is a big stretch).

Regarding string tension, I use fluorocarbon concert strings on my tenor scale ukes - much more comfortable.
(Except my actual tenor uke, that has classical guitar strings on it. ;) )

I have arthritis. After a period of playing tenor a lot the pain was terrible. Had to take several months off. Concert no problem. Even now if I play a tenor for a few minutes pain starts. I have come to accept playing concert size.

Thanks everyone, i have a few things I can try now. Am going to give it a couple of weeks. If it's not better I will sell so if anyone is looking for a tenor Pete Howlett, you may be in luck (and I'll be sad).

I would ask about the neck thickness, if it’s a thick neck that may be the issue, I find thinner profile necks much more comfortable to play.

Might just be adjusting to the scale if you're used to shorter scale.
Could also try capo'ing the first fret and playing like that for a while until you get used to it.
That would effectively let you play a "shorter" scale with the spacing more like a concert.

Also.. if you tune with the capo on, it will lower the tension because... it's shorter.

Or, try some PhD strings they tend to be 'softer' and lower tensioned. They have a higher density and "stuff" so they don't need the higher tension that are normal with a GCEA tenor.

Or detune to Bb and get a Bb chord sheet to play the proper chord forms for that. I play my tenors dGBE and use baritone chord forms. It makes the strings a lot lower tensioned.

Top Bottom