Looking for a Banjo Uke

Reaction score
Hey everybody, first thread here beyond an intro thread. So I'm looking to get a banjo ukulele and I wanted to see if anyone had some suggestions that fit what I'm looking for. So I want to get a banjo uke in the 200-400 dollar range that has a pickup. I would prefer a concert scale (it's what I play right now), but I've also considered springing for a tenor. So far, the only options I know of with pickups in my price range are the Gold Tone BU-1 (Concert) and the Duke 10 (Tenor). I'm having a hard time finding the Gold Tone available anywhere (the site says it's on back order so I have no idea when they should have it in), so I guess I'm leaning toward the Duke.

So are there any absolutely wonderful models out there with a pickup that I haven't mentioned? In the absence of a pickup, I have thought about going for sheer acoustic loudness, which the Deering seems to have, although it's a little pricier. So I would take loud acoustic instruments into consideration as well. I just want to be able to play conveniently in various venues without having to worry about being heard or awkwardly holding the thing up to the mic.

thanks in advance

Welcome!

Here is my experience so far.

The Duke tenor is well made and a great instrument to play. The pickup works but needs some tweaking with an equalizer to shine when amplified.

I don't think the Gold Tone banjos come with pickups and I've found that I don't care for the excess overtones that have to be accepted or compensated for by dampening the head.

I have a Deering concert uke (no pickup) that should be arriving soon so can't comment on it yet, but I have high hopes that it will work well with a mic.

Good luck on your search and please share with the rest of us what you learn!

Last edited:
I have a Deering banjo-uke in concert size, and it really is loud. With bright strings, it would have even more value, but even with nylon/nylgut strings I use a Deering mute on mine. They are well made, great neck, quality rim, hefty pot. A used one would also be in your price range. I would be surprised if you ever felt the need for a pick up with these!

Top Bottom