New book on Joni Mitchell - who started her career with a ukulele!

cyber3d

Reaction score
Neato! I leaned something new today.

This ought to be a good read. :)

That's fabulous! I never knew. Now I have a whole new respect for an artist I already loved!

A lot of the greats started on ukulele
Hendrix
Dick dale
Neil Young
Johnny Winter

I'm sure there are a bunch more.

Post deleted - I had no idea how a simple sentence, posted simply to pass some time, would bother some so deeply.

Sorry about that.

Last edited:
Cool! "Circle Game" is one of the first songs I taught myself to play on ukulele... I never knew Joni was a uker!

if you meant no offense, why did you bother to post that at all? Should we all do that whenever one of the artists you happen to like gets mentioned? How is "she just doesn't do it for me" informative to anyone?

I believe his post is called "an opinion." I believe those are still allowed here, be it positive or negative.

I agree 100% with Ubulele. If you have nothing constructive or interesting to say, say nothing at all.

Perhaps Westy doesn’t care for Joni’s music and that is fine but does he know the long, long list of very fine musicians who do love Joni’s music? If he’s interested he could do some research. Jaco Pastorius for one accompanied her. Perhaps someone will care to shout out that they’ve never heard of Jaco and therefore he doesn’t matter?
How about Prince’s lovely take on Joni’s A Case of You? Ever heard of CS&N, close friends of Joni and great admirers of her music?

I don’t necessarily like everything she has done but I know that I’ll never be the musician she is, never even close. She is extremely sophisticated. I would be very surprised and pleased to see a book that actually captures what she creates. Her chords and tunings are for the very advanced. She also had a habit of singing absolutely on pitch.

Joni played dulcimer on A Case of You.

Maybe Westy could open a thread and enlighten us with a list of whom else he dislikes and then others could join in.

For example:

I don’t like jazz. I don’t like classical music. I don’t like country music. I don’t like blue grass. I don’t like world music.
Very interesting. Chopin? Bob Wills? Monk? Stockhausen? Shania Twain? The list goes on.

Please don't mess up a nice thread with your bickering. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Get over it.

Frankly, in some contexts sharing your opinions may not contribute anything useful to the conversation. In such cases why not just move on?

So, the petty squabbling stops here.

Thanks.

Top Bottom