New Uke Day (NUD) - Mahimahi MS-3M - Martin Style 3

Pier

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

yesterday, after some time spent communicating wiht the shop, I finally recieved my new Mahimahi MS-3M.

I don't know if anyone here knows this brand, but it's a chinese made brand with HQ in Italy, related to Aquila Corde.

they make lots of ukes on various price ranges, and a few months ago, probably along with the new Ohana SK39, they put out the new "Martin Style 3 Series": https://mercatinodellukulele.it/ind...duct_id=1720&virtuemart_category_id=2&lang=it

the price is very competitive, and it costs less than the Ohana (at least in Italy), and they have rosewood on the fretboards.

probably it's exaclty the same uke produced in the same factories, the only real difference (if Ohana uses rosewood, but I'm not sure because on other models like the sk38 they changed to roasted maple or blackwood) is the brand logo on the back of the headstock and not on the front.

I bought this uke for 200 euros shipped, because they had on ebay a model with a couple of dings on the back of the headstock (it's the one on the link I posted! you can see the little black spots on the back of the head...), and wow!

it's a wonderful uke, small, light, extremely resonant and already with a good setup. I'll only lower the nut, but the action is perfect, every fret is shiny and perfectly mounted and rounded on the edges.

the mahogany is beautiful, with a thin satin finish (you can feel the pores, like on the sk38 Ohana and similar finishes). every detail is perfect, there isn't a wrong spot on all the uke.

I've had TWO Kala SMHS in the past months, and both shipped back to the shop because they were full of dings, imprecise details and poor overall finish.

nut and bridge seem to be made of bone, not plastic, and it has Super Nylgut strings (I'll change them with New Nylgut, better for my taste).

I'm still getting used to the extra part of the freboard on the top, because I've always had ukes with only 12 frets!

however, after months spent with only a laminate uke, having found a well made uke for such a low price is wonderful!

I'll post some samples in the next days, once I spent some time with it, lowered the nut and oiled the rosewood!

Top Bottom