Have you seen this cool app called "HumOn"??

cyber3d

Reaction score
It converts any tune you hum into musical notation! And you can edit the notes, transpose, play back the notation in any of several styles.

Very cool little free app.

http://hum-on.com/?ckattempt=1#about

Looks like it's another spyware app - check out what permissions it wants you to give it!

What permissions does it want? Did you go to install it and then decline because of the permissions?

If it has to connect out to some AI cloud service to recognize/convert the pitch, then it is doing nothing different than anything invovling 'Hey Siri' or 'Ok Google' for all of them send your audio to the cloud in order to be processed, as none of that happens on the device itself.

Amazon Alexa works the same - all speech processing is done in a supercomputer artificial intelligence programming environment...

Click on 'Download the app' ->Permissions/View Details

Ok. I see it now. Most of the Android apps I see now want most of those permissions any way.

It's the ones that want full access to your contacts and/or wifi hotspot info or browser history that get me upset, and thus I avoid ones that reach too far. We each have our own comfort level.

If the app is to record audio, it will need access to your mic and storage area anyway, and network access is likely for analytics and/or it's cloud function to convert the sound to pitch, and if it is a free app with ads, it will need to pull ads from the online sources as well.

But Android itself, with Google Play services is in fact spyware, so you are already inside the belly of the whale anyway unless you use a 3rd-party ROM like LineageOS (the offspring of CyanogenMod, which has been discontinued) or SailfishOS which are both 'Android' but without all the Google spyware installed by default, and you can use F-Droid and Yalp Store to get apps that do not steal your privacy on the other non-google flavors of Android, but not all devices can be rooted and have the boot loader changed, especially if they are locked by the carrier.

I am stuck with a cheapo Android right phone now, but as soon as I can, I am going to get an iPhone and just swap the SIM card. :) But I use my old iPad and iPod touch for everything else, and my iPad is my video camera that I use for the Seasons videos I have done in the past.

Not too concerned about these particular permissions. It is fairly standard for an app that needs to access the mic. I agree with Booli those that want access to contacts and the like are to be avoided if possible.

The app is pretty cool. It really does work and it works well. It works well if you vocalize by intonation and not with words. It is definitely worth checking out. Although I don't really care for the accompaniment feature (it plays back your notation in various styles like new age, r&b, rock, classical, etc. . .) if you try it - it has an impressive AI engine. It's fricken cool.

Top Bottom