PDA

View Full Version : Tenor Ukulele recs?

exfairy
10-12-2017, 11:07 AM
Hey, new to this forum. I've been playing ukulele for about 4/5 years and own 2 sopranos and a concert. I'm thinking of getting a tenor now to accompany myself in my performance at uni (either before or after christmas, it depends on this other thing). I feel like a tenor would better suit the tone of the piece as the concert's a little too light but a guitar feels too bulky for it.
Any recommendations for electro acoustic ones, ideally with a strap, under 100?

JesterBlod
10-14-2017, 07:10 AM
At under 100 it will be pushing it to get a good electro tenor uke; If you consider that buying just the quality electrics would probably set you back at least 100 on their own (cheaper piezo pickups are available mind you).

If you can push your budget just a little, take a look at Snail ukuleles - very good value, not heard anything about their electro versions though.

Alternatively, if you are happy with your Concert Uke - why not get quality electrics fitted to it?

Croaky Keith
10-14-2017, 07:40 AM
Not many electro acoustics in that price range. :)

Some people have had good things to say about Caramel ukes, but import duty & taxes for us Brits will probably rule them out.
Kala &/or Ohana are good for their price, but electro will cost half as much again.

Maybe consider a baritone instead(?), the lower end Kala is pretty good for the price, & will give you the regular 4 higher strings of a guitar in a much smaller & lighter package. Usually has a 20" scale, tuned DGBE.

If you really need a pick up, you won't get a half decent uke for 100. :(

ErnieElse
10-14-2017, 07:43 AM
It is not in your price range but for the money you will not do better than this....

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?128796-FS-Kala-KA-ASOV-T-tenor-All-solid-Fishman-AG-passive-pickup-Mint-UK-seller

spookelele
10-14-2017, 05:32 PM
Consider saving more money.
I think your current budget will not buy you something you would be happy with.

Tootler
10-14-2017, 11:08 PM
If you are looking for a reasonable electro acoustic, I suggest you think in terms of adding at least another 50% to your current budget and more. You may, of course strike lucky as I did with a closing down sale. But within your existing budget, that's what you will have to be looking for.

With the caveats above, Baton Rouge ukes are worth a look.

DownUpDave
10-15-2017, 02:27 AM
Google Caramel ukuleles. There are a number of tenors with pick ups for $50.00 - $90.00. There is a huge thread here in Uke Talk about Caramel ukes, lots of love. There is an all solid mahogany with pick up for $65.00, that is what I would buy with your budget. Heck I might just buy one about of curiosity

1931jim
10-15-2017, 04:18 AM
Google Caramel ukuleles. There are a number of tenors with pick ups for $50.00 - $90.00. There is a huge thread here in Uke Talk about Caramel ukes, lots of love. There is an all solid mahogany with pick up with $65.00, that is what I would buy with your budget. Heck I might just buy one about of curiosity

A big plus for Caramel tenors.

JackLuis
10-15-2017, 09:35 AM
I like my Caramel CT-100, Laminate Zebrawood Tenor. The Turner/Eq is good and for $65 it was a steal. Not sure what the UK price/duty would be.

Or try the Baritone CB-103 excellent value under $100. I compared it to many Baritones up to $500 and couldn't see the value in the differences.

1931jim
10-15-2017, 11:29 AM
Hello exfairy,
I have the Caramel tenor model CT-102A. It is Zebra wood laminate top, back and sides. I love the new bridge with the pins, the moustache shape is from another era. Good luck in your quest.

exfairy
10-29-2017, 01:31 AM
Sorry for the late reply - I didn't realise so many had replied! Thanks for the recommendations. I did go ahead and buy an electric one for just under 100 but I will absolutely look into these recs for the future and getting an electro-acoustic. The Caramel ones look gorgeous <3
But I ended up getting this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075WYS9MP/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_0
It was cute okay? It also functions well and does the job but I might replace the strings as they feel a bit too stiff but we'll see... :)