Tenor Ukulele recs?

exfairy

Reaction score
Hey, new to this forum. I've been playing ukulele for about 4/5 years and own 2 sopranos and a concert. I'm thinking of getting a tenor now to accompany myself in my performance at uni (either before or after christmas, it depends on this other thing). I feel like a tenor would better suit the tone of the piece as the concert's a little too light but a guitar feels too bulky for it.
Any recommendations for electro acoustic ones, ideally with a strap, under £100?

At under £100 it will be pushing it to get a good electro tenor uke; If you consider that buying just the quality electrics would probably set you back at least £100 on their own (cheaper piezo pickups are available mind you).

If you can push your budget just a little, take a look at Snail ukuleles - very good value, not heard anything about their electro versions though.

Alternatively, if you are happy with your Concert Uke - why not get quality electrics fitted to it?

Last edited:
Not many electro acoustics in that price range. :)

Some people have had good things to say about Caramel ukes, but import duty & taxes for us Brits will probably rule them out.
Kala &/or Ohana are good for their price, but electro will cost half as much again.

Maybe consider a baritone instead(?), the lower end Kala is pretty good for the price, & will give you the regular 4 higher strings of a guitar in a much smaller & lighter package. Usually has a 20" scale, tuned DGBE.

If you really need a pick up, you won't get a half decent uke for £100. :(

Consider saving more money.
I think your current budget will not buy you something you would be happy with.

If you are looking for a reasonable electro acoustic, I suggest you think in terms of adding at least another 50% to your current budget and more. You may, of course strike lucky as I did with a closing down sale. But within your existing budget, that's what you will have to be looking for.

With the caveats above, Baton Rouge ukes are worth a look.

Google Caramel ukuleles. There are a number of tenors with pick ups for $50.00 - $90.00. There is a huge thread here in Uke Talk about Caramel ukes, lots of love. There is an all solid mahogany with pick up for $65.00, that is what I would buy with your budget. Heck I might just buy one about of curiosity

Last edited:
Google Caramel ukuleles. There are a number of tenors with pick ups for $50.00 - $90.00. There is a huge thread here in Uke Talk about Caramel ukes, lots of love. There is an all solid mahogany with pick up with $65.00, that is what I would buy with your budget. Heck I might just buy one about of curiosity

A big plus for Caramel tenors.

I like my Caramel CT-100, Laminate Zebrawood Tenor. The Turner/Eq is good and for $65 it was a steal. Not sure what the UK price/duty would be.

Or try the Baritone CB-103 excellent value under $100. I compared it to many Baritones up to $500 and couldn't see the value in the differences.

Hello exfairy,
I have the Caramel tenor model CT-102A. It is Zebra wood laminate top, back and sides. I love the new bridge with the pins, the moustache shape is from another era. Good luck in your quest.
Back_bookmatch_IMG_7385.jpgHeadstock_IMG_7400.jpgCloseup_IMG_7399.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply - I didn't realise so many had replied! Thanks for the recommendations. I did go ahead and buy an electric one for just under £100 but I will absolutely look into these recs for the future and getting an electro-acoustic. The Caramel ones look gorgeous <3
But I ended up getting this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075WYS9MP/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_0
It was cute okay? It also functions well and does the job but I might replace the strings as they feel a bit too stiff but we'll see... :)

Top Bottom