One Piece Sides

KPG

Reaction score
As I am planning and reading for my first builds. I don't recall anyone discussing using a one piece side. Is this done? Would there be any disadvantage other than complexity for bending? I would be using a hot pipe for bending. I have many pieces of wood that would be quite long enough. Just curious.
-Ken

Last edited:
I've done it on a couple of smaller instruments and I've seen factory made instruments done that way.

It does require a longer piece of wood and makes bending more difficult especially if you normally use a Fox bender. Most people probably also like the idea of bookmatched sides. The sides are normally tapered, so depending on how/when this is done, that's a factor to consider too.

I'm a hobby builder so maybe the pros know something I don't!

I did it once. It looks nice having no seam at the butt end but no other advantage. It is harder than bending two sides because you have to get both waist bends in just the right spot and then there's lots of touch up bending to get it fit in the mold all at once.
With two sides it doesn't matter if my waist bend is a little off....I leave extra to trim off the ends. I measure and mark the waist but sometimes the wood just wants to bend more on one side of the mark than the other so I adjust.
Can't hurt to try it...its definitely doable

Top Bottom